El Camino bell to grace El Palo Alto site

Original post made on Feb 4, 2010

Bellmaker John Kolstad put the finishing touches Wednesday on a new "El Camino Real bell" that will be officially dedicated in Palo Alto this weekend to mark the site of the historic El Palo Alto, the city's namesake tree. The dedication ceremony will be at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Alma Street entrance to El Palo Alto Park.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 4, 2010, 3:55 PM

Posted by Mike, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I love the bells!

Posted by Linda Jonas, a resident of another community
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I live in Pacifica, but I've been working with John to accomplish the purchase and installation of this Camino Bell at El Palo Alto. He is a terrific man who's so enthusiastic about history - it's been a wonderful adventure to get this project done.

Beta Sigma Phi is proud to provide this lasting memento dedicated at such a beautiful, historic site.

We wish everyone great pleasure in viewing it there!

Posted by thomas long, a resident of Ventura
on May 13, 2010 at 12:32 am

i have an old EL Camino Real bell made out of cement with curved pole looking for information if they were ever used as landmarks,I thought at the old pasadena bridge had a few marking the path of the missionaries

Posted by Harald Rohlin, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I wish I could add a School Community from the drop list. Iīm from Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden. Wonderful YouTube clip! My favorite part of my favorite road. John, I really appreciate your mission, and I like your title, "Bellmaker".

Harald

Posted by Kiddo, a resident of Community Center
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:11 pm

When. I was a small child there were bells on curved poles up and down El C throughout Santa Clara County. I remember my dad explaining their significance.

Does anyone remember what happened to the original bells? it's a shame they were removed in the first place!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.