A no reaction protest idea
Original post made by Anne on Jan 27, 2010
To All Gunn Students
NO REACTION PROTEST
By now everyone has heard of the possible protesters coming on Friday with some pretty negative signs and pretty negative words. What better way to deliver their message than to get a response from us. If they get people to shout back at them, they're happy. If they get a crowd gathering, they're happy. If they get on the Friday night news, they win.
In the last couple of days this issue has mushroomed. People are more aware of this group's existence. Just what they want. However their appalling message has fired us up. Again that's just what they want. We now have a strong urge to get our own message out. Simply that we don't tolerate hatred. That Gunn students are supportive and loving to all. Let's show them how peaceful, loving, supportive and united Gunn students are.
Wouldn't it be fun to have the five or six WBC protesters come all the way to Palo Alto to stand out in the cold with no one around. No students, no other protesters, and no cars driving by (ok very few cars driving by). We can do this. It makes a powerful statement. You've heard the saying: "Does a tree falling in the forest make a sound if there is nobody there to hear it?" If there is no eyes around to read their signs and no ears around to hear their chants, do they spread their message. Probably not.
So here's what you can do to participate in this NO REACTION PROTEST.
1. If you don't like any of this and protesting is not your cup of tea, sleep in. Come to school at 8:30am when classes start. Easy enough and knowing that you too are helping with this NO REACTION PROTEST while just being snuggled in bed.
2. When you do come to school on Friday, enter the school through the back. Stay away from the front entrance. Cars can drop off via Georgia. Yes Georgia will be a bit busier but it's just one day and for a really good cause. This is especially important if you are coming to school between the time of 7:20am and 7:55am. If you have to drive and park at school, come after 8:00am or before 7:00am.
3. If you are itching to protest right back at them, assemble at the back of the campus away from their eyes and ears. They can't come on the campus but you can. Wear your t-shirts with messages of love and support for all: for Gunn students, for patriots, for gays, for Jews, for Americans; whatever floats your boat. So if there is the press hanging around, let's pull them to the back of the campus. This way the media coverage will only show five or six lonely WBC protesters with no one around to hear them. The real party is in the back guys. It's like a surprise party for the WBC. Surprise! We're not here and we're not listening.
4. Absolutely no signs that have any negative tone or message. Only positive. Let's show the world that we can deliver our own message of love and support for all. Remember WBC won't see our message until the evening news, if we do this right. So no mention of WBC on your t-shirts. Keep it peaceful, keep it positive.
5. Have your parents drive to work a different way. The fewer cars that drive by the better. We want it very quiet at the front entrance.
6. Gunn has had way too much worries and emotions both in the press lately and in our hearts. We are more than ready to show a different side to Gunn students. I think this Friday is a great opportunity to show our lighter side. Please participate in a 'no reaction' way that feels good to you.
7. We want to keep it safe. The PAUSD, Gunn Staff, the City of Palo Alto and all our parents, want us safe. Fired up crowds is not the way to do this. We're hoping this NO REACTION PROTEST is a way to keep our freedom of speech alive in a healthy safe way.
8. Last, get to class on time at 8:30 knowing that you did a really good thing today.
If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.
Scottís Seafood Mountain View to close, reopen as new concept
By Elena Kadvany | 7 comments | 2,911 views