Comcast vs DSL

Original post made by MidtownMom, Midtown, on May 18, 2009

Is there anyone out there who has experienced ongoing issues with COMCAST high speed internet connection?

I am having difficulties in the recent days - the connection drops off (the modem cannot be reached from the comcast facility); it is down for a good 45 minutes to 1 hour. The connection restores itself.

Comcast replaced my modem earlier this year and a few days ago as well ( so two new modems in less than 6 months ). Every time I call them they confirm that the connection is having issues - since they cannot reach the modem. By the time the technician gets out to my house, the connection is fine and the tech walks away saying everything is find and dandy.

I work out of my house and hence my paycheck is tied to the availability of the internet :(

If you are / were having similar issues with comcast, please share what you did to get them fixed...

On another note, the DSL users out there - has your internet connection been stable? If you had issues, was the service quick ?

Posted by qq
on May 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm

After going through the whole, ISP Channel/Palo Alto Cable Co-op, AT&T Internet, Comcast Cable Internet debacle, I will never have cable Internet again. ADSL2 is available from wide variety of vendors in the Bay Area including Sonic.net and Speakeasy. Rock solid, and real support.

qq

Posted by also
on May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I have same story, nothing but waiting has worked, it's ridiculous.

Comcast has been down frequently and repeatedly. Last time I complained they said that they would start crediting back money for the days I have no service.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

First, congratulations for computer commuting. I am on AT&T DSL and have also been having occasional glitches, usually just minutes in length.

Posted by MidtownMom
on May 19, 2009 at 7:20 am

@also - comcast said they would credit me for days with no service .. however, I have to call them to get the credit !! This will mean 30 minutes of hold time .. then going through the ranks of supervisor .. go figure !

@Walter - the glitches - do they resolve themselves within a few minutes - or - do you need to call the service center?

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on May 19, 2009 at 10:31 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

MtM - They usually correct themselves, within a cuppa.
Thank you for telecommuting.

Posted by Patel
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2009 at 11:08 am

I am a comcast high speed usar, and I have had problems with my internal house wiring. After repairing the wires inside the house, my services have been great. Matter of fact I recieve higher download and upload than required.

Posted by A Palo Alto parent
on May 19, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I've telecommuted for years now, and switched from DSL to Comcast a couple of years ago. I had been having increasing problems with DSL, starting with intermittent outages of internet access to almost no access.

At first Comcast was great--great rates, great service, no problems. Then the rates started going up. In the past month or so I've had sketchy internet access, weird TV picture problems and the phones drop out now and then. I don't know whether they're going through growing pains or what. I've heard the same thing from several other people around PA and MP.

I don't know whether DSL is the solution, after having had a terrible time with it.

Posted by comcast user
a resident of Downtown North
on May 19, 2009 at 6:08 pm

We switched from DSL to Comcast about 18 mos ago. DSL was ridiculously slow. Comcast has been better, but the last day or so we have had quite a few outages.

I think it's growing pains. Consider where we were ten years ago vis a vis the internet vs today. I also know of people who have negotiated lower rates with Comcast though I haven't tried that myself.

Posted by 'nother option
a resident of Downtown North
on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Have you considered AT&T's U-Verse solution?

Posted by resident
on May 20, 2009 at 12:27 am

I have had the same experience as above -- at first Comcast was great, but the longer I've been a customer, the slower my service. Our download rates in the last few years have been so slow, it seems like dialup sometimes. I have not had many service outages, though. I too would like to find an alternative, especially if it is cheaper.

Posted by resident
on Jan 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm

We switched from ATT DSL to Comcast because they could not give us faster than 3 MPS service. The Comcast phone and Internet dies often and repeated calls to Comcast yield no results. The local techs have replaced everything and now say it is a "network problem" within Comcast. We are switching back to DSL and will live with 3 mps.