Race Cowards? In Academia, Certainly

Original post made by Sharon on Feb 23, 2009

From todays Investment Business Daily---Web Link

"Attorney General Eric Holder said the U.S. is "a nation of cowards" when it comes to race relations. In one sense, he is absolutely right.

Many whites, from university administrators and professors, to schoolteachers, to employers and public officials, accept behavior from black people that they wouldn't begin to accept from whites.

For example, some of the nation's most elite universities, such as Vanderbilt, Stanford and the University of California, have yielded to black student demands for separate graduation ceremonies and separate "celebratory events."

Universities such as Stanford, Cornell, MIT and Cal Berkeley have, or have had, segregated dorms.

If white students demanded whites-only graduation ceremonies or whites-only dorms, administrators would have labeled their demands as intolerable racism.

When black students demand the same thing, these administrators cowardly capitulate.

Calling these university administrators cowards is the most flattering characterization of their behavior"

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:44 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

My sentiments exactly, Sharon. The patronizing of Blacks by liberals is the most virulent form of racism, because it rewards self-segregation and the separatist pimps who profit from dividing people.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 6:36 am

Total agreement. The Black Unions in schools ( and Black Congressional Caucus) and Hispanic Unions in schools ( and Hispanic Congressional Caucus) and Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus concepts are horribly racist now.

When first begun, the concept was to work toward equal OPPORTUNITIES and a color-blind world ( anyone remember MLK and "judging by content not color" dreams?)

They have turned into racist organizations by working toward OUTCOMES based on color, not content, not merit, not the same rules as the rest of America.

The latest great example of this is that, unbeknownst to all of the rest of us and probably none of the House that voted for it, as part of the Econ Destim Bill just passed last week, not only is the SCHIP program extended to families of 4 earning $80,000/year ( what? kids in families earning $80,000/year are POOR and need federal health insurance???), the above Caucuses won a "victory" by changing the rules of SCHIP from the prior "all legal immigrants have to wait 5 years before their kids qualify" to "instant qualifying, even of pregnant women".

So, in the usual fashion of poorly thought out liberal policies, we have instantly created a magnet to attract yet more people incapable of caring for their own children into this country.

What will the unintended consequence be? Now people like me will work to tighten up who we allow into the country. Uneducated single women or anyone attached to them will now be the LAST I will want to allow into this country.

I was much more open to legal immigration for hardworking but uneducated people before, given I am the child of an uneducated legal immigrant ( who then went on to 2 master's and managed to never take a single dollar from anyone to help raise us..odd thought in this day and age), but I will now support tougher immigration laws to prevent establishing yet another cycle of welfare families in our country.

The racism of expecting those of color or newly here to not be able to take care of themselves, creating dependency and killing the pride in achievement amongst people of color..it disgusts me. What galls me even further is that we have already gotten to the point where all the people of color who "make it" into and through a good school, into a good job, promotions etc can never know if they made it on their own merit or if they were given "preference" because of color. Now let's add a jaundiced eye to legal immigrants who instantly get welfare.

MLK must be absolutely appalled at the perversion of his dream.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

On the other hand, keeping them dumb and democrat pays off at the ballot box.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Oh, thanks for the laugh, Walter!

Posted by OhlonePar, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Perspective,

Interesting that health insurance equals welfare to you and that you assume that people making $80K or less are likely to be nonwhite.

Interesting, too, that you're the child of an immigrant. You don't have a good sense of U.S. history, so that makes sense.

I really don't think people are going to come here for the health insurance. They come here for work and *Republicans* have generally been more lenient on immigration (legal and otherwise) because it keeps down labor costs. It's not an accident that it was a bigger issue under Bush than Clinton.

I realize that you assume that you can't be racist because you're not an inbed white southerner. But that's not at all the case. You're making some highly questionable assumptions here.

Posted by samuel, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm

What is an "inbed white southerner" a sleaping giant?

The linked web page from Investors Business Daily is very informative, thank you Sharon, glad you are back in the game.

In my 20yrs experience the are plenty of "Race Cowards" at Stanford and Harvard.

The multicultural experiment has been a complete and utter disaster in Europe.

We should be welcoming educated European immigrants who are fleeing the train crash the cultural there

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm

We should also welcome educated Asian knowledge workers who can create wealth and jobs.

We should also do away with dual citizenship, if you want to be an American then you must renounce all other citizenship, if you adopt another citizenship then you must renounce your American citizenship.

We have had enough industrial and national security espionage by dual citizens from Asia and the Middle East.

Posted by Fisk, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:13 pm

>>>Yes, but don't welcome non-Asian knowledge worker who can create wealth and jobs<<<

>>I feel safer knowing that espionage is only committed by dual citizens. We can get rid of espionage by forcing all dual citizens
to be come US citizens. Espionage is never committed by US citizens.<<<

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I agree 100%. You cannot have a dual citizenship and be loyal to just one country.

1) You always have an "escape hatch" in case you don't like what you have voted in

2) You never feel 100% AMERICAN CITIZEN.

I had to choose EITHER American or keep my other 2 citizenships when I was 21. There is nothing like a defining moment such as that to crystalize a commitment.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

It does not matter where the immigrants come from as long as they have graduate education, can speak and write English fluently and pledge loyalty to the USA.
Americans with sole US citizenship can be prosecuted for treason with no escape hatch for them or their families or their assets.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm

OP: Anything not earned, ie: paid for by OTHERS, is welfare. Yes. So health care not paid for private people paying their own insurance is, indeed, welfare. So, yes, if you want to say that is "interesting", good.

I have no clue where the heck you read into my post that I think only non-whites are the only ones making less than 80,000. Are you racist?

I guess you are since you assume that a child of an immigrant somehow isn't educated in American history ( though, what a non-sequitor that was as a comment!) We can have a history duel at sun-up, your choice of topics, ok? ( ha-ha)

Immigration was a bigger subject under Bush than Clinton, like under Reagan than Carter, because we who elected him and the House Repubs were furious that nothing had happened to shut down illegal immigration. Dems don't care about that, and will stomp out any attempt to raise it when they are in control, so it is never an issue when Dems are in charge. Then Repubs have to try to clean up when they get back in power. Most Repubs who haven't been corrupted by the DC-think actually want to control our borders, integrate those who are already here, and make sure non-citizens don't vote. I know that is wierd, wanting to enforce our laws, but that tends to be our way.

On the other hand, maybe the Dems have the answer. Destroy the economy, then people who are here illegally looking for work quit, and go home! Ta-Da!

Posted by Pesrspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:37 pm

BTW, are any of you REALLY happy about paying for your own health insurance, then paying yet more for insurance for families that make $80,000 someplace where that is upper middle-class? In other words, in most of the nation, people who make that much live in really nice houses and go on vacations etc.

I suspect around here you are insulated from the rest of the nation and don't realize what you are doing. You are going to continue to supplement middle class people in the rest of the nation with your votes.

Fine by me! Be my guest!

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 25, 2009 at 3:23 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Effective health care may well be one of the legitimately zero sum games, in that the supply of people willing to make the sacrifices for a medical education are finite. One solution was China's barefoot doctors, another is the rationing by bureaucratic delay. Where is it that abortions are free, but the wait is 11 months? Raise the copay by $10 and cut visits by half? Oh Brave New World!!!

Posted by Paul, a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 25, 2009 at 9:37 am

The last time I heard such shrill desperation from our right wingnuts was just after Nixon resigned. Get over it people. You lost again, and one of them is now in the White House.

I understand you're trying to re-energize your Base, but this tactic won't work today. Johnson had it almost right - the Democrats lost the South for a generation because of the civil rights bill (he underestimated both the scope and the duration) - but that generation has passed. Watch all those mixed groups of teens walking around and you'll see what I'm saying.

Posted by OhlonePar, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 25, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Perspective,

So Iraq is welfare? No, you're grabbing at straws--again.

Couple of points about health insurance--insuring kids is relatively cheap--they're a healthy group by and large--and this is one of these case where an ounce of prevention kicks in. Uninsured Americans are a big burden on the system for which all of us with insurance *already* pay through jacked-up fees to compensate for their lack of payment.

A healthy population is a population that can hold jobs. Healthy kids are kids less likely to have chronic conditions later on. Sorry, I won't those kids to have shots and I'm willing to pay for it if it means that we're less likely to have an epidemic.

As a matter of hard fact, we'd all have more affordable healthcare if we had a nationalized risk pool. One of the things that's been tanking the auto industry is the cost of supplying its retirees with pensions and health insurance. As it is, we supply medical coverage for the elderly, the highest-risk pool, without leveraging it across healthier age groups.

It's really the worst of both. That you don't seem to actually understand how the current insurance system isn't working speaks to an unwillingness to delve into any issues past your comfort zone.

And, yes, your understanding of American history is poor. I think you read selectively, among other things, and you don't have a family history of people that were there to bring times to life. So, yes, there's a lack of living memory in your case that limits your understanding of why people act as they do. Yours and Sharon's ignorance about what the Great Depression was really like, for example. Or Sharon's having no sense of how *important* free public education has been to this country's success. Just what the G.I. Bill did, for example, in creating a large middle class. That "freebie" paid off big time.

As for immigration--hon, it's a Dem issue in that labor unions oppose immigration. Under Clinton, existing laws were enforced, partly because the federal agencies weren't gutted. We have the laws--they're not enforced well, however.

It's not accidental that you're reaching back to Carter. Where Dems and Republicans differ is that Dems think immigrants should get social services instead of being simply exploited. In other words, they have to play by the rules--and, more importantly, their employers have to play by the rules.

Republicans are in an immigrant quandary--they need to sound anti-immigration to get the support of its more xenophobic base while not actually doing much about it to please the corporate Republicans.

The attitudes are pretty nuts-and-bolts actually.

Samuel, "inbred white southerner" is the classic stereotype of a racist. My point is that you can have racist attitudes and not fit that stereotype. One of the sad things I've seen in recent years is the importation of racist attitudes from other countries. Fortunately, the kids usually rebel and bring in some mixed-race grandkids.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm

It is very pathetic to cast anyone who disagrees with you as a racist, such tactics make the term worthless, on a par with "nice".

The gross prejudice against Southern Whites and now East Indians is also pathetic.
Accusing Southern Whites of mass incest is sick and deranged and smells of the Nazi propaganda against the Jews.

The fact is that Universities tolerate behavior by blacks and latinos that they would never tolerate from whites or asians.
This outright bias must end and will end whether you like it or not-- follow the money.

Posted by OhlonePar, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 25, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Sharon,

I don't call anyone who disagrees with me a racist. You, on the other hand, have some very definite issues that bear some self-examination.

As I am descended from southern whites, among others, I know quite a bit about the stereotyping of them. I simply cited the classic stereotype of a racist.

Which I think you know, but find it convenient to misunderstand.

It's you--not I--who object so loudly to the Tinsley agreement. It's you, not I, who think that kids struggling in school in PAUSD who are disproportionately disadvantaged minorities should be going to vocational schools.

It's you, not I, who claim that IQ is genetically innate. It's you, not I who have cited the well-debunked Bell Curve that claims that underachievement by African-Americans is innate and related to an inferior IQ.

It's you, not I, who freak out over crime and East Palo Alto--with all that implies.

That you are not of European descent doesn't excuse your prejudices nor does it make you immune from bigotry. I suspect that it has meant that you've not examined your own prejudices because you figure you don't have to do such anything as a minority.

It does, however, make it ironic.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 26, 2009 at 8:44 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Tinsley and the diaspora substitute bus seats for classroom seats. The real racists are the fools who promoted both of these follies, primarily to punish "white flight."

Posted by Tom Gall, a resident of another community
on Feb 26, 2009 at 9:07 am

Who really is the coward?

I wonder how many white (so called) close friends Mr. Eric Holder has in his address book?

His comments bring to mind that age old idiom:

The pod calling the kettle black. But then again Mr. Eric Holder just might live in a teflon coated world of ceramic. Where reality just slips in to the bodyguard of lies and half truths.

It is sad to witness a man with such limited perspective and wisdom as the Attorney General of the US.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:36 am

I am going to tell you my biggest fear related to color/racism in this country. I am afraid these bozos are going to implant a harsh racism in the minds who welcomed them with open minds BECAUSE they were black...only to see them destroy the country's economy and imprison their children with crushing debt. People who are inherently racist ( those who voted for BHO because he was black)are also the same people who can switch sides on racism.

Ok, now you on the left can start calling me a racist.

Posted by OhlonePar, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 27, 2009 at 1:58 am

Walter,

Tinsley's a legal settlement. Period. I have issues with it because I don't think neighborhood kids should get bumped by out-of-district students from their own schools. However, the agreement wasn't made with long-term thinking in mind.

No one's out to "punish" people. Mostly, people want a shot at a good public education for their kids.

That said, I like the Tinsley families I've known. I wish the overcrowding weren't such an issue.

Perspective,

Your last statement comes off as a sort of projection--this is how you think people think. Plenty of us see people as individuals and aren't measuring everyone with high amounts of melanin in their skin by Obama's performance. Anymore than I judge Yalies by George Bush's (or Texans or middle-aged white guys)

To you, people voted for Obama *because* he was black. Plenty of them, including me, did not. Obama wasn't my first choice (the experience issue). But between him and McCain it was no contest. Why? Because McCain offered no solutions, was too tied in with the guys who'd effed things up so badly and showed incredibly erratic judgment. He showed an astounding lack of presidential temperment--and Obama has that very needed tempermental equilibrium. Obama was the better of a not-stellar choice: the guy without experience v. the guy who'd learned nothing from experience.

You have shown an extreme amount of anxiety about Obama--way beyond what seems rational to me. And, yes, I have to wonder about some of what's driving it--particularly when you fall into such reductionism about how "they" will suddenly become racist if things go badly in this country because "they" had to be racist to vote for Obama in the first place. Because, God forbid, anyone shows any ability to just vote for a particular person instead of a representative of a given "race".

Your filter says a lot about you and, yes, I think you have some issues.

Posted by samuel, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Interestingly no one has denied that their gross racial bias on campuses of elite unversities.

blacks and Latino are in fact allowed to do things that would never be tolerated if White students did it.

Interestingly no one has defended this practice.

Parents could change these practices quickly as they pay the fees, they are the customer and the colleges mere vendors among many.

The university model is out of date, time to review the practice of tenure and introduce some competative freemarket approaches

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.