Four arrested for 'hate crime' in Mountain View

Original post made on Feb 23, 2009

Mountain View police have arrested four East Palo Alto people -- three Pacific Islanders and a Latino -- and charged them with a hate crime for allegedly insulting and beating four persons from India outside a Mountain View bar at 1:30 a.m. Saturday. But police are puzzled by a mystery link to a shooting victim.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, February 23, 2009, 5:31 PM

Posted by Jim, a resident of another community
on Feb 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I would guess the guy was shot accidentally by one of his acquaintances. That's why they had to come up with a bogus story.

Posted by One Love, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Feb 24, 2009 at 9:19 am

I'm sorry to hear this. We should learn to love and respect the difference in each other. Please don't blame this on the boys becauce they live in East Palo Alto. Look at the other hate crime guy who's from burlingame.

Posted by Jilly, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07 am

[Post removed.]

Posted by Sarah, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:33 am

A rumble between 2 groups outside a bar at 1:30am? This probably has more to do with alcohol than race. Of course, the media loves playing the race card.

Posted by jack, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I don't get this. Why would the oppressed minorities attach another oppressed minorities? Where's the logic in that?

Posted by Sarah, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Alcohol != logic

Posted by La Vero, a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Alcohol and hate is a dangerous mix. if you have hatred, it's always there... alcohol just makes it easier to come out. It's pathetic that we attach one another in this day and age. PATHETIC! What's even more pathetic? Getting shot my accident and reporting it as a drive by... PATHETIC.

Posted by Junior Soprano, a resident of another community
on Feb 25, 2009 at 2:34 am

What is wrong with you people? Why TF do you think that, because people are from different races and cultures, they're going to automatically join hands and sing "Kumbaya? That dog excrement only happens in Hollywood movies. Some of you people come across as Christian missionaries or Peace Corps retreads.

If multiculturalism is really so great, then the United Nations would be paradise.

Yeah, right.

Posted by MEDIATOR, a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm

More police would be fine, as long as it doesn't get to the level of Downtown San Jose.

ALSO: Saying that "I saw a Pacific Islander do this and do that.." is RIDICULOUS!!
Take any person who's lived an even semi-balanced life (I know there seem to be less here in the city of plenty, but they ARE here) and ask them if they've seen at least a few examples of EVERY race committing SOME sort of atrocity, and also seen EVERY race doing something heartwarming. It's called human nature, people. Folks have screaming "burn the witch" for centuries, because bloodlust is a part of human nature too. Silicon Valley is reknowned for this, it was the last place in our civilized country to realize that a mob lynching a suspect without fair trial is a no-no (Early San Jose History- Lynching in St James Park-Hart Kidnapping)

In conclusion: If you live on Earth, ALL of your ancestors and maybe some of your progeny have: killed, healed, looted, donated, burned, repaired, raped, educated, poisoned, nourished, aided, slacked, worked hard, and generally LIVED.

Alcohol HAD to be involved, considering the late hour it occurred at.
I am by no means condemning alcohol, but I'd be in favor of an I.Q. test rather than an age restriction on alcohol. Some folks don't have enough sense to act right when they're sober, these folks should be kept away from intoxicants at all costs. They need all the brain cells they have.

Posted by it's me, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I never new that it was true to never to belive anything you hear,and only belive half of what you see,because the media alway's lies just so the public likes the story. Well here's what really happend,cuz i was there, the indian lady and her husband were walking toward the club the females were walking along as well until the indian lady gave the other girl a dirty look so the girl approached the indian lady and started arguing with her only,The two lady's are in motion of an altercation when the indian lady's husband punched the girl his wife was fighting with,THAT;s when hell broke loose. I come from a home where my dad hit my mom so i just snapped when i saw that man hit that girl.You people are problaly the type to let a man hit a woman in front of you well not me, And till this day I still dont let thing's like the fly in front of me.So asking if i would do it againg i would say yes.Plus if you idiot's would simmer some intelligent's then you would what indian mens believe's are of woman plus look at santa clara county record's on cases on domestic violence committed by this man that was thought of as a hero. So dont belive the hype cuz till this day i cant belive i went to jail for teaching a man how to not touch a woman. Becuase real men hit men not woman.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

Well Im from East Palo Alto.
Some people may think when you hear East oh its a bad place. They got it all wrong. Well I just wanted my voice to be heard. I was am one of the woman that was invloved in this insane thing that I have been blamed for.
I just want to correct that us 2 women did not at all jump this lady period. Everybody knows how it is when you come out of a bar you are so loud out of your mind. So i guess they got irritated from us and had said some smart remarks about us. So we got into an arguement and then the lady tries to hit me i hit her back and because i hit her first and i was from east palo alto its all my fault. But no where in the courthouse they had even said anything about the male that knocked me down the ground with his fist to my face. Everybody that was me saw what he did so the men that were out with me gave him what he deserved(An Ass Whoopin) So he got what he ask for. But the the moutain view police department did not take the time and listen to the other side of the story which was ours from east palo alto. So what i am trying to say is that people out here get accused of the wrongful things that they have never done. I mean what can we do coming from East Palo Alto they call us the bad guys all the time ite NEVER FAILS! Its just sad!But here I am living life beautiful loving family and im still living thats all that matter.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by EastPaloAltoResident, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm

[Portion removed.]Whether or not this was a hate crime, who are we to determine that? Especially with the kind of judgement that police officers give in any given situation. I am also from East Palo Alto, and in no way do I condone violence, hate, or alcohol abuse. I also do not support those who discourage others based on their grammar/writing skills. I have also been in the same situation as the 2 women involved, but I handled it in a different manner. I was able to confront the woman that was making me feel uncomfortable, and make her cry her eyes out with my awesome "shit talking" skills. I can really open up a can of whoop ass if came down to that, but it's not very lady-like. So @Hmmm please do not come here to belittle and discourage others (especially those whom might have been involved) especially when you have nothing nice to say.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Touring the Southern California “Ivies:” Pomona and Cal Tech
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 5 comments | 2,337 views

Chai Brisket

Sometimes "I'm Sorry" Doesn't Cut It
By Cheryl Bac | 4 comments | 886 views

Couples: Parallel Play or Interactive Play?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 673 views

SJSU Center for Steinbeck Studies to Honor Author Khaled Hosseini on Weds Sept 10
By Nick Taylor | 0 comments | 536 views