Popular song amoung kids - SHOCKING LYRICS

Original post made by A shocked parent on Feb 18, 2009

I am so shocked! I listened to a rap song on my 13 yr old son's ipod called "My dick" by Mickey Avalon. I almost puked. The lyrics in this song are so disgusting, offensive and sick and I just can't understand how kids raised in highly educated families of Silicon Valley could love something like that.
When I asked my son what he likes about it and why, he said that everybody listens to it, that it is a very popular song among middle and high school student.
You can listen to this song on U-tube or find lyrics of it on internet, but can someone please tell me isn't it the end of the world if something so sick and dirty becomes appealing to kids.
Believe me, I am no prude or puritan, I grew up loving rock'n'roll, I can even tolerate some rap music, and I generally don't overreact to lyrics in these songs, but the fact that lots of kids love the above mentioned song by M.Avalon is a clear sign that the world has come to an end, that the culture has been successfully destroyed forever.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:30 am

Agreed 100%. I woke up in 2002 when I gave an M&M cd to a teen who wanted it, then listened to it with her. I was appalled and took it back! Less the prudery aspect, more the brainwashing into accepting rape, violent deaths, cop killings, and debasement of the human body and spirit. NO THANKS!

Since then, I know to check my kids' ipods and online music library.

Posted by paly parent, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:44 am

You should certainly monitor what your kids listen to, but I also think they don't always "listen" to the lyrics. The Blue Oyster Cult song "Don't fear the Reaper" is about death and suicide, I sang along to the lyrics but never really thought about it until 20 years later. Its also a great discussion topic for you and your son, it would be great if he could decide for himself that this song is inappropriate.

Posted by Reymundo, a resident of another community
on Feb 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Perspective, I just checked out the lyrics to the aforementioned song. Yeah, they're pretty gross. But I don't think they're anything worse than some of the little ditties that the kids from my affluent 95%-white East Coast suburb got a clandestine thrill from singing to each other back in the late 1970s. Go look up the lyrics to "Um Chucka Willy". I remember excited pre-pubescent boys naughtily belting out that one while I was at summer camp. Believe it or not, the lyrics are even worse than the ones in "My Dick".

Civilization didn't come to an end after kids sang that one 30 years ago, and I don't think the popularity of "My Dick" indicates its imminent demise now, either.

If anything, things are probably getting better. I think kids today are much more sensitive to racism, homophobia, and intolerance than when I was growing up. Singing dirty songs with lots of four-letter words is something boys are always going to do. But in that suburb of mine, there were also plenty of songs spewing blatantly racist messages, with generous helpings of the N-word. Frankly, I'd consider that a lot more worrisome than making dick jokes. I hope *those* songs aren't as prevalent as they used to be!

Posted by Reymundo, a resident of another community
on Feb 18, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Ooops, in my above message, I meant to write "A shocked parent", not "Perspective".

Posted by Not-so-shocked mom, a resident of Walter Hays School
on Feb 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm

The world is not ending. Just relax a little bit. I think your son will be okay even if he listens to garbage music.

I listened to music that I'm sure shocked my parents, rap songs of the late 80s, Dr. Dre, Ice-T, Outkast, Salt-N-Pepa's Push-it...ahhh, good stuff! I graduated from high school with good grades, got a Bachelor's degree from a great University, and currently live in Palo Alto and have two young daughters of my own. Just because you listen to crappy, R-rated music as a kid doesn't mean you're going to end up in prison or on drugs. ;)

Kids listen to different music for different reasons. I love all kinds of music from classical to pop and everything in between. I think it's great for kids to experiment with music and figure out what their likes and dislikes are much like they do with sports.

I think part of the love of something so vulgar in a place like this is pure rebellion. It's very hard to grow up in this town where everyone has such high expectations of you. (I am speaking from experience). There are very few things you can control in your life when you are a teenager and your music choice is one of them. Picking a form of music that goes against what your parents expect or want for you is the easiest way to rebel and prove to them that you have control over your own life.

I'm sure this song is going to be a one-hit wonder and your son will be onto something new within a few weeks. Beware that it may not be much better though. Hang in there!

Posted by A shocked parent, a resident of Professorville
on Feb 18, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Not-so-shocked mom and all others who responded,
I really appreciate your inputs. I agree that "this too will pass", that kids most likely do not pay much attention to words in these songs, that they will grow up civilized people and might even take their own kids to opera and museums, but what I can't comprehend is this - is there some moral threshold for the new generation in terms of verbalized content? There are definitely thresholds when it relates to racial issues - I doubt that these days kids would listen to a song that calls for killing a ni---er no matter how great the beat and music is. What I am saying is that some content is viewed as morally unacceptable even by kids. Thus rebellion knows its boundaries. If the moral boundaries exist, then what defines them, why kids view a song about "my d-ck that smells like sh-t" as acceptable rebellion and do not find it offensive, but will most likely find songs with extreme racial content very offensive. What I am leading to is a question of the role of society in preserving cultural decency. Society bans racism, racist songs would never be aired or become acceptable in any form and shape and IT WORKS, then shouldn't society chose to censor and ban songs like "My d-ck" by Avalon?

Posted by Another Song..., a resident of Meadow Park
on Feb 18, 2009 at 6:45 pm

listen to the new Brittney Spears song titled... "If You Seek Amy"

Say it over and over again, really fast...

Here's a hint... the last word of the two word phrase is "me" and you're spelling out the first word.

You can youtube it for the lyrics and song.

Posted by Objectionable Content, a resident of Barron Park
on Feb 19, 2009 at 7:25 am

""my d-ck that smells like sh-t" as acceptable rebellion and do not find it offensive, but will most likely find songs with extreme racial content very offensive."

Lighten up! You cannot compare that song with racist content.

I googled the lyrics, and I don't have a clue what you are worried about. It's juvenile and disgusting, but it's not even smutty. I would guess this song brings a smile to the face of most middle and high school boys.

Can you say what exactly you object to? I have a secret for you: boys this age brag about their d-cks amongst themselves. Big deal. Sounds like this is more your problem than your son's. Get over it: he's growing up and will not be under your control forever.

Posted by Ada, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

It is quite disheartening to see how our society, and the new generation Y in particular, became completely desentisized to vulgarity and obscenity. Long gone are the days of honour and decency.

Posted by Objectionable Content, a resident of Barron Park
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm

What is happening to our young people? Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Feb 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm

My suggestion would be to try to casually move on from that song, perhaps even share some songs from your teen years. We have enjoyed sharing the Beatles with our kids. The Beatles have lasting power

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.