Is it ethical to produce political material targeting children?

Original post made by disgusted, College Terrace, on Oct 8, 2008

The latest library thread has a link to material that the Better Libraries for Palo Alto created specifically targeting children. The material only presents one side of the argument and encourages children to become "ambassadors".

In my experience, children have always been a third wire regarding politics and political campaigns. It is one thing to target adults with half-truths and expect them to get the other side of the story themselves. It is completely something else to be targeting children in this manner.

I find it unsettling that attempts are being made to manipulate my children in this way. Am I in a minority here?

Posted by Link?
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Can you provide a link so we can see what you mean?

Posted by disgusted
a resident of College Terrace
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Web Link

Whether you agree with the content is not the issue. I'm more concerned with the target audience for the content.

Posted by Measure N is Good for Palo Alto
a resident of South of Midtown
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:08 pm

In fact, children and parents benefit handsomely from the presence of the public library. our public library enables thousands of children through language development, reading, homework help, and other programs.

Just look at Children's Library, it's a magical place that is unique in all California. Our ENTIRE COMMUNITY benefits from the public library.

With this as a given, it's far more accurate to employ images of children who love the place that gives them so much, and to ask our citizens to consider the beauty, wonder, and intellectual satisfaction that our public library system provides.

Please also note that the PALF literature shows senior citizens as beneficiaries.

Add to this PAUSD students, teachers, parents, working professionals, newly placed immigrants, physically challenged citizens who are served by remote library programs - and so many more.

This is an inspiring promotional piece that says what libraries are FOR, and talks about benefits.

Vote YES on N, be informed, be inspired, and be part of a community that cares about youth, schools, seniors, our working professionals, and thousand of others who use our libraries for their human betterment.

Posted by Link
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I have to admit, that is kind of creepy. Not sure how they are distributing those, but I wouldn't want my kid getting that at school or anywhere else. In general, convincing kids of things to get them to convince their parents seems like a bad idea. On the other hand, this is the newsletter from the Library Foundation, so if it only goes to people who have signed up for it...

Note that Alison Cormack, who heads the pro-N campaign, also is President of this foundation. Guess I'm not surprised at their endorsement of N!

Posted by Parent
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Hmm, yeah, kinda creepy. Imagine if it was a flyer for Prop 8. Leave the kids out of it.

Posted by parent, too
a resident of Escondido School
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I'm surprised that anyone would object to that flyer. I handed some out to parents this afternoon after school and they loved it!

Posted by kids are cute!
a resident of Nixon School
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:26 pm

That flyer is wonderful! My daughter's friend is one of the kids pictured! I'm voting YES on N, because I want to keep Children's Library open.

Posted by meg
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:45 pm

The manipulation of children through fear and guilt is a key part of obamas campaign so I am not surprised to see it here in PA, it is a classic socialist/trotsky tactic

Posted by libraries support freedom and democracy
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:48 pm

wow! now the anti-N obsessives are taking on a Joe McCarthy frame. Maybe they want our kids to start taking loyalty oaths? LOL!!

Vote YES! on N, Vote with your fellow citizens to KEEP OUR LIBRARIEs OPEN!

Posted by new resident
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I would ask if it's ethical for 2-3 posters who post under multiple names to keep putting up misleading lies and distortions about our library. Can you imagine anyone objecting to a beautiful, colorful brochure with images of happy kids, enjoying their day at the library?

I'm voting YES because our libraries are dilapidated and an embarrassment. Foe a little more than $100 per year I can borrow books and videos and access paid subscription databases for free. My kids have a safe place to go after school,;my teens get homework help.

Such a deal!!

Posted by JD
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:08 pm

where did the money come from for this outrageous propaganda?

I do NOT want my children exposed to this toxic propaganda, the source of funding needs to be investigated, if public funds were used then prosecution will be swift and severe

Posted by Gary
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:10 pm

JFK used his kids to his political advantage, even though Jackie hated it. Of course, JFK had many beds to soothe the stresses caused by Jackie. He even used Jackie to promote his career, and Jackie went along for the ride...or at least to keep the peace.

JFK was a bit like Jesse Unruh ... screw all the women offered, smoke a good cigar, have a good glass of wine or a solid martini, then tell Jackie he wants to dance with her at a White House soiree. Jackie accepted that arrangement.

Posted by Real JD
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:13 pm

What is it with these bizarre anti-N tactics?? The Library Foundation is privately funded. I think someone needs to do an IP trace on this thread and look into suing "JD" for slander.

Posted by a mom
a resident of Greater Miranda
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:15 pm

My children love the library, and they would love to see a more up-to-date collection. My dad takes them to the library three times a week. They all love it so, and want to see the buildings repaired, and our library permitted to stay open.

I am voting FOR Measure N, for my kids and their granddad

Posted by not ethical
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Can you imagine anyone objecting to a beautiful, colorful brochure with images of happy families and children and motto's such as "It takes a mother and father to make a baby, it takes a mother and father to make a family. Vote YES on prop 8". Then add in descriptions of how children can become ambassadors to do their civic duty and promote happy families.

Leave the children out of this. Target your propaganda at the adults. If you can fool them, they deserve it.

Posted by jenny
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:33 pm

i am going to help my mom this weekend with telling people about the library

i love the library and want my mommy to vote for the library

Posted by IT watchdog
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:37 pm

i know someone who's cracked the anti-N website...it's gettig nfew hits, with outgoing links to their distorted videos not being hit on by the few visitors they're getting. really, really fringe - imagine, wanting to close libraries!

Posted by judy at escondido
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:38 pm

yeah for libarry!!!!

Posted by JD
on Oct 8, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Again, if public, Taxpayers funds were used for this toxic propaganda there will be hell to pay.

The machinery of the State of California legal system is already in motion on this matter.

Posted by paula
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 8, 2008 at 7:45 pm

my brother and me use downtown library on saturday we read and borrow movies that teach us about the world

Posted by RS
on Oct 8, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Well I am a no on N, but the flyer does not bother me assuming its having the kids on the flyer you object to. I guess I miss the part where the flyer specifically targets children.

Now if that flyer was handed out to children at school by a school representative, I'd have a problem with it.

Posted by Ted
on Oct 9, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Paula,

Can we hope someone will teach you how to write correctly including grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and other finer parts of the English language? Perhaps
someday you will 'get it', or you will need a job that does not require it. Do you go
to Palo Alto schools?