Girl, 18, goes missing outside Castro Street night club

Original post made on Sep 9, 2008

Police are searching for Brittany Brown, an 18-year-old Mountain View resident who disappeared Friday night after working the door at the Monte Carlo night club on Castro Street. Brittany Brown, a Mountain View resident who just graduated from Mountain View High School, was last seen at 1:30 a.m. that night after being invited to a party by a couple, police say.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 9:36 AM

Posted by jack
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:41 am

"Victoria Brown criticized club owners for allegedly changing their story about what happened that night -- possibly trying to cover up, she said, for giving alcohol to the 18-year-old."

Not sure how responsible is the journalism here, as this tidbit does not appear to help the story to be newsworthy. It actually seems a bit incendiary.

With all due respect and concern, however, I really don't think the blame is one way when an under-aged patron is served alcohol in an establishment. The laziness and profit motive of a club owner to serve alcohol without checking ID is one source of blame, but let not the under-aged patron who initiates the request for alcohol be perceived as blameless.

Or maybe I'm just grouchy. :-)

Posted by finger-pointer
on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:59 am

This is an interesting story, as I have not found any other media reporting it thus far. As for finger pointing, there are many who deserve to be pointed. The girl made a big mistake in leaving with people without telling any friend or family. Let's hope she will be found safe and sound.

Posted by Mom
on Sep 9, 2008 at 12:44 pm

What a sad and scary story...

Posted by B
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 9, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I think the more Media coverage the better. And as far as the finger pointing goes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And the missing teen's mother is simply stating hers. I truly hope that Brittany comes home safe.

Posted by Victoria Brown
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 9, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I am Brittany's mother and thank all for their concern. I think some points made have been taken out of context. At this point we just want our daughter back. Sadly the establishment has changed their story many many times. Alcohol is not top on our list right now of what they did wrong. There are many other things that they have done this is higher on our list. We have always been strict parents and even at 18 we had reservations about her walking 2 blocks from home that day, which is what she did. At this point we just want her home, and thank all for their concern.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 9, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for calling this 18 year old a girl and not trying to give the impression that she was older and wiser by calling her a woman. She is over the legal age of responsibility, but still very much a young girl when it comes to making sensible decisions.

I can see that some bad decisions may have been made here, but I don't want to appear to be criticizing anyone. I just hope that she can be found safe and that this story will be another story (like that of Natalee Holloway) to show young girls that they need to be much more careful.

My heart goes out to her family and I pray she will be found safe soon. Please keep us updated.

Posted by L
on Sep 9, 2008 at 2:41 pm

This is so scary. I will continue in saying my prayers for Brittney to come home safely. This situation can happen to any of our children. We try as parents to talk with our kids and give them examples, but as we all know in their teens they think they know it all.

Again, I will continue my prayers with my prayer group. God Bless you and your family and I will pray for Brittney to return home safely!

-A concerned parent!

Posted by Tracy
on Sep 9, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Please forward this story to all your local email contacts, as I have. I've had the pleasure of meeting Brittany, and she's a joyful, vivacious girl.

As far as fingerpointing, I don't think whether alcohol was served to someone underage is (or was implied to be) the point right now. The point is getting to the truth of what happened that night as fast as possible, so investigators have as much information as possible.

My heart is with the family.

Posted by Greg K
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Who is this mysterious couple that she left the club with? Why are there no names, photos, or descriptions given in this article? Witnesses will have a much easier time remembering a group of 3 people than an individual.

Posted by Leslie
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:54 pm

My son is a friend of the Brown sisters and our prayers are with the family. We truly pray for her safe return.

Posted by Jennifer
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:21 am

It was reported she is home safe and returned on her own last night.

Posted by sally
on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I'm glad that Brittany Brown is home safe today. As a warning to other teenagers who might find themselves in that situation, I hope she has the strength and courage to tell others what happened to her.

Posted by more news please
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 10, 2008 at 1:00 pm

OK what happened?

What about this club and underage drinking (true or false)?

Posted by Can you confirm she is home
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Sep 10, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Editor - can you confirm that Brittany is home safe?

Posted by jack
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:32 pm

IF YOU ASK ME I THINK THAT THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME HERE ARE THE PARENTS, MY DOUGHTER WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!!
AS FAR AS FINGERPOINTING GOES, THE CLUB OWNERS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.
THIS IS AN EMBARRESSMENT TO THE BUSSINES AND ESPECIALY TO THE MOUNTAIN VIEW POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Posted by John
a resident of Menlo Park
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm

The Parents took this issue way out of proportion, obviously you dont know you're doughter well enough.

Posted by Link to KTVU news saying she is safe:
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Web Link

Posted by Joann
a resident of Monroe Park
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:59 pm

I would have to agree that I blame the parents. I wouldn't let my daughter work or even go to a club like that and she is 18. Nor would I let her have a "best" friend the is 30 years old. What kind of influence would that be? I think a parent should be much more involved in their childs life. That includes really knowing the kids that they hang out with. I believe that Brittany ran away on her own to be with her boyfriend. I believe that her parents were truly terrified and I feel so bad for them. Shame on you Brittany Brown! Your family didn't deserve that.