Town Square blog entry question

Original post made by blogger, Green Acres, on Sep 6, 2008

I love the idea of having a place for local blogs and web sites. Thanks for making it possible. I have two questions - could the Weekly staff please answer?

1) Where is the regular link to this page from the PA online home page? I have to refresh my screen a few times to get the graphic for the local web sites and blogs page on the left hand toolbar, I can't find another link on the PAonline home page.

2) I submitted an entry over a week ago, but don't see it posted. How long does it take to review these, and will we be apprised by email if our submission is rejected?

Thanks.

Posted by Fellow Blogger
on Sep 6, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Welcome

1. Look at the section of today's hot topics on town square and click on the view all posts icon. You will see a list of all the recent topics and at the top there are three blue headings and if you click on go to board view, you will see these headings listed again with the topic having the most recent post listed at the top. This way you can see which topics are most active even if they are not the most recent. Then click on what interests you. You can look at the separate headings by clicking on those headings, but if you don't you will by default get all categories.

2. Posts are submitted almost immediately after you click submit and if your post didn't appear on the bottom of the other posts, then something happened. There is no editing until after they have appeared which is why sometimes the editors choose to delete. But, you can see these before the editors have had time to delete them.

Occasionally topics get locked or deleted by the wisdom (?) of the editors. But as long as we discuss things politely and stay off some of the topics raised by the presidential election, we tend to be OK.

Enjoy.

Posted by Tyler Hanley
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on Sep 6, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Tyler Hanley is a registered user.

Blogger,

1) Here is a link to the local blogs/websites:

Web Link

It can also be found (permanently) just above "Fogster Classifieds" on the Town Square column on the left. Look for the "Local Blogs & Websites" heading.

2) Which entry did you submit? It should have been approved by now, unless it is considered a commercial website/blog. Can you clarify your entry? Feel free to e-mail me at thanley@paweekly.com. Thank you for using Palo Alto Online.

Best,

Tyler

Posted by blogger
a resident of Green Acres
on Sep 6, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Hey Fellow Blogger,
Thanks for taking the time, but you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking about Town Square Forum, I was asking about the new page the Weekly set up for web sites and blogs of just local people.

Since you seem like you are pretty knowledgeable, I'm wondering because of your post if you have the same problem I do - that I don't have the link for the "Local Blogs & Websites" on the Paloaltoonline lefthand menu, as Tyler Hanley posted. Above "Fogster Classifieds", my browser only shows the links to the Mountain View Voice, the Almanac, and the Weekly news. If you don't show that link either, please send Tyler some email, too. Thanks. I'm guessing we're not the only ones.

Posted by Pesrpective
on Sep 7, 2008 at 8:39 am

It is easy to miss. I missed mine the first few times I looked for it. On my screen, it is in a 1/2"x1/2' square box with a white background and diagonal words saying "local blogs and websites". It is the last item in the long list on the left starting with "Home".

Thanks for the heads up, I had missed this development.

Posted by Fellow Blogger
on Sep 7, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Tyler, Blogger and Perspective.

I did not know this page existed and I can find it above Fogster and below Jay's blog. I had never seen any mention of it anywhere before and I am sure that many do not know it exists either.

Thanks again.

Posted by blogger
a resident of Green Acres
on Sep 7, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Perspective and blogger,
Perspective, the link you mention alternates with links to several other things, so I can only get it if I refresh my screen numerous times until it comes up. I'd like a permanent link that is there whenever I log in to PA online. Thanks Blogger, I finally found it below Jay Thorwaldson's blog! It must be a new link, because I have scoured the page before and didn't see it...

Tyler - did you get my email? I have not heard back from you, I'm wondering if you received my email about my submissions - please check your spam folder if not. Thanks.

Posted by blogger
a resident of Green Acres
on Sep 9, 2008 at 9:21 am

Well, this is frustrating.

I tried to email Tyler, but did not hear anything back - I'm assuming my email went into his spam folder.

So I tried to re-enter the submissions, since they "should have been approved by now."

But when I try to submit, I get a note telling me that the submission is already in the database and not yet approved!!!

One of the submissions is for a well-established local church - obviously not a commercial site. There are several churches now listed under the community heading, it's not an unusual submission. Weekly staff: what's the hold up??

Posted by Tyler Hanley
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on Sep 9, 2008 at 9:32 am

Tyler Hanley is a registered user.

Blogger,

Sorry, I was out sick yesterday. Going through my e-mails now. I'll respond as soon as I come across yours. I plan to edit/approve those submissions today.

Best,