Debunked Palin Rumors, and Apologies from Press

Original post made by Sharon, Midtown, on Sep 6, 2008

Here's a good list of debunked Palin rumors Web Link

[Note: If the link doesn't work, try hereWeb Link

Also Sally Quinn the reporter from the Washington Post has apologized for what she said about Palin

SALLY QUINN: You pointed out the other night that you thought I was being unfair and that I had judged her before I heard her speak and that I knew anything about her and I think you were right.

I thought that she was amazing in her speech.

She was funny and smart and poised and confident and she gave a great speech, beautifully delivered, and I think she is going to be a formidable opponent.

So all of that, I think I was wrong about her. And I didn't know anything about her--end quote

From Commentary
"How often do mainstream media outlets and their columnists ever say "I blew it"? It is not easy to acknowledge error, let alone a gross and mean-spirited one. Quinn did. (My suggestion is that Palin's first serious print interview should be with her. ) Second, could others follow? If the MSM beats a hasty retreat in the Palin Inquisition, the Obama camp will have no choice but to directly take her on or ignore Palin-mania and let it the McCain-Palin ticket ride the wave of popularity. Either would mark a sweet vindication for McCain personally and his team more" generally."Web Link

Posted by Mary
a resident of Gunn High School
on Sep 6, 2008 at 10:02 am

The New York Times reports that "Mrs. Clinton's campaign event in Florida, her first for Mr. Obama since the Democratic convention, will serve as a counterpoint to the searing attacks and fresh burst of energy that Ms. Palin injected into the race with her convention speech on Wednesday, Obama aides said."

So, let's get this straight.
They didn't choose her and her 18 million voters to put on the ticket.
They gave the VP spot to Joe Biden.

But now that Sarah Palin has arrived on the political scene, they're promoting Hillary as the female answer to the Republican VP nominee. Awkward, to say the least.

And as one female democratic strategist said, don't think that Hillary hasn't noticed.

Posted by Bike
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 6, 2008 at 10:32 am

Barack Obama made another goof while being interviewed on TV.
"I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated," opined the One. "I've already said it's succeeded beyond our wildest dreams."
This is of course a characteristically solipsistic read of things. The surge did succeed beyond Obama's wildest dreams, but not everyone's.
The guy who he'll be debating three times this fall did in fact expect such successes.

Obviously, McCain can't run on the Surge.
The Iraq War simply isn't where the electorate is at.
But Obama has based much of his campaign on his magnificent judgment, and here's a big one that he blew.
And he just sort of admitted it.
Since the issues of judgment and experience will come up at the debates, this is one comment that Obama will have thrown back in his face at an inopportune time.

And notice how Obama can't just say, "I was wrong."

He instead has to say, "Everyone was wrong" when that clearly wasn't the case.

Refresh my memory – wasn't the unwillingness to admit error one of President Bush's characteristics that drove the left batty?

Posted by ng
a resident of Hoover School
on Sep 6, 2008 at 11:03 am

What a difference a week makes,the whole frame and energy of the parties
existential experience has changed dramatically.
Obama's public image has suddenly begun to revert from the carefully choreographed caricature of the bike-riding savior of the planet to the more candid and accurate picture of the Chicago political machine operative with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
Palin has been transformed from trailer trash to Joan of ARC, amazing,without the media feeding frenzy she would have been ignored, instead 40 million Americans had their eyes and ears glued to her every word.Is their some sinister force behind these transformations?

Posted by Gary
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I've been following American elections since I was old enough to comprehend that something was going on, beyond playing on my tree swing on the farm. This means Ike vs. Stevenson.

I watched the Kennedy-Nixon debates and speaches. I watched Reagan...however, Sarah Palin is the biggest explosion of interest in American party politics that I have ever seen.

I would like to say that I predicted it, since I am quite good at judging the present and the near future realities, but, alas, I cannot. This is, simply, the most amazing political phenomenon.

There is nothing that the left can do to stop it. The more they fight it, especially with female surrogates, the worse it will get for them.

Posted by Samuel
a resident of Stanford
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:51 pm

One of the themes hammered home at Barack Obama's convention was McCain equals Bush.
That never struck me as sustainable and was pretty well demolished on the first full day of McCain's convention.
Neither Obama nor McCain is a generic candidate; they are distinctive individuals, to whose specific characteristics voters respond, positively or negatively.
The Republican convention's premise is that McCain is the maverick reformer—an American version of France's Nicolas Sarkozy, who replaced an unpopular president of his own party.
There is plenty in McCain's record to back that up.
Not least is his selection of Sarah Palin for vice president.

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Gary,

A couple of things--Palin's speech meant a huge influx of cash--to the Democrats.

Palin does have a big pork-barrel problem.

Palin was highly scripted--that wasn't her speech--at the convention. And expectations were low. At her next public outing, expectations will be higher.

We don't knonw what she can do off-the-cuff. Clearly her handlers don't think she's ready for real interviews.

So, she'll rally the base--no question. Beyond that--she's a VP candidate. The second banana behind McSame.

Posted by peter W
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:06 pm

The three-day tracking polls at Rasmussen and Gallup now reflect two days that are post-Palin and one day that is post-McCain.

The Gallup PollWeb Link now has Obama ahead of McCain by two points, down from the eight-point bulge he enjoyed after the DNC.
At Rasmussen, the results are essentially unchanged from yesterday; Obama has a one-point lead, three if you count leaners.
Monday will be the first day when these polls fully reflect the impact of both conventions.
It appears that the race will be a dead heat at that point.

If you think back to a month ago, when Obama was ahead in the polls and looking forward to the most-hyped political convention ever, the idea that McCain could come out of his own convention tied for the lead, with the debates yet to come, would have been considered a fantasy.

Posted by Gary
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:14 pm

OhlonePar,

You could be right in everything you say, though I don't believe so.

Your problem is that the more you say it, the less you will be believed, and the more powerful Palin will become. She has already attained mythic status. If she stumbles, at some point, then, yes, she will become a mortal, just like Biden, McCain and Obama. Your problem, OP, is that once she is taken off script, she may not fail, as Obama has...she may get even better. That is a nightmore scenario for you.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Peter W.,

Why would it be a fantasy? It's pretty typical around this time of year. It's also not that big a fluctuation in the Gallop numbers over the last couple of months. McCain's never been higher than 46 percent, he's now at 45 percent.

Obama did have a convention boost that fell back--but he's still ahead of his pre-boost percentage.

Basically, the undecided's have shrunk--with the Clintonites moving strongly to Obama.

In electoral votes, Obama's been substantially ahead, but there are small margins in a number of states. As usual, it will come down to some swing states--if Obama gets Ohio, he'll win. He doesn't have to have it, but McCain does.

Unless things dramatically change, Obama has a reasonably solid 260 electoral votes, so he needs 10 more. And there are a number of ways to do that--Colorado/New Hampshire or Nevada/Colorado; Virginia; Ohio. North Dakota/Nevada. (I can't believe, by the way, that North Dakota's even in play--I suspect it will go Republican though.)

McCain's solid base of electoral votes is 90 v. Obama's 151. These are states where there's a 10 percent or greater difference. There are then a number of states, such as New York, where Obama's ahead by smaller margins, but that are beyond the margin of error.

So getting out the vote, basically.

Posted by INDY
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:24 pm

OP, I'm a moderate independent, party neutral, watching carefully. Obama is currently ahead in the electorate vote; the battle will be for swing states. The downside of Obama's money is that his handlers are now in danger of overexposing his media messaging, thus, unwittingly, placing far more weight on the debates, where Obama doesn't do so well (nor will Biden, against, Palin)

Obama's personal charisma has transcended his many shortcomings; that's the way these things work. Expect the same with Palin. It doesn't matter that Palin didn't write her speech. Does it matter that none of the others did, except Obama (looks like you want to patch some of those 18 million cracks).It doesn't matter that she's dipped into the pork barrel.

I just watched an interview of Palin, held months ago. She is far, far more skilled in extemporaneous interviews and conversation than Obama or Biden. She was *off* the teleprompter the other night. Can you imagine being in that position in front of a national audience and still pulling it off. Obama and Palin are beyond the details of their records; they're something special.

On the stump, away from the telepromoter, up close and personal, McCain and Palin take the other two, hands down. Many more votes will be won this way than you can imagine. But I don't vote for candidates based on those qualities.

You're right, Palin will rally the base, and she will solidify the 3-4 million Hillary supporters who won't vote for Obama , no matter what. What you're missing is that a large part of that base is conservative women, who for the first time in the history of American politics, have a national candidate they can identify with. Women are networked far better than men, so there's potential for exponential returns on the Palin choice. We'll see.

Posted by Kate
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Walter, you are a prize. Why don't you collect all of your posts and publish a best-seller for sure ---"Walter-isms". Like Will Rogers. If you don't, I will-- and make a mint of money. Keep us smiling.

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:32 pm

"When they attack one personally it means they haven't
a single political argument left." -- Margaret Thatcher

UK TelegraphWeb Link

"The interest in her[ Sarah Palins ] and her life story is no fluke, either.
Following the failure of Hillary Clinton's campaign, Palin is suddenly, and flamboyantly, the most prominent female politician in the country.
At age 44, she is also the most prominent representative of her generation of women – a generation which already looks set to be different, in important ways, from its predecessors.

Unlike Hillary and her contemporaries, the women of Palin's generation are not feminists, but rather post-feminist.......

the appointment of Palin does bring the Hillary Era to an end – she isn't the archetypal Female American Politician anymore, she's just one of many. "

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Gary, the more *I* say? Such powers you impute to me. I'm flattered.

Seriously though, you want to get a message across, you have to repeat it. I saw Palin's speech and I found her mildly irritating. To me, she has some of the issues Hillary Clinton has--repetitive cadences, thin tones, overall tightness. She wasn't terrible, but if a seasoned, known politician had delivered it, it would have been ignored.

It had none of that relaxed warm delivery of, say, a Mike Huckabee--where you end up thinking, what a nice guy--oh, yeah, he's a loon.

The one thing I'll say about Palin is that it does force social conservatives to lighten up. Watching Republicans do mental pretzel bends to accommodate one of their own means a shift in mindset. In her weird way, Palin has just forced all of you slightly to the left.

In fact, I think that's part of why you guys are so starstruck. It's finally really hitting you that women are tough enough to be president. So it's a sea-change for you guys, but not for those of us who always knew that.

Now, I suppose it's just a question of how racist the country is.

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:34 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Perspective
on Sep 6, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Perspective is a registered user.

1) Wow...Sally Quinn just gained a lot of respect from me. What a true and humble apology. I hope Palin chooses her first for an interview.

2)No, OP, what you don't understand is what many far leftists don't understand...this IS how most Conservatives think and handle our lives, the way Palin has handled her life, her politics, her children. We strive to rise above our tendency to err, accept the consequences when we do, and get enfolded in our loving families and communities. So, in fact, it is no stretch at all for us. Millions of us conservatives think, believe, act out and handle life in the same way. What part of her life is not conservative, I guess would be the question I would ask back to you? I guess the fact that she is a working mom might be too liberal for some conservatives..ok, I can accept that. But really, you are going up against the wall for that?

3)As for racist..yes, clearly the racists will not vote for McCain with the not-white adopted daughter, nor Palin with the American Indian heritage husband. The sexists will also not vote for McCain because he chose a female running mate. However, I don't think most people are racist, I think most people look at the proven experience, (the outcomes of past work), the worldview/nationalview of the candidate, the candidate's assessment of problems and proposed solutions...then choose.

Keep it up, you are not helpinng your cause.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Cho's, beloved dim sum spot, to reopen in Los Altos

Where DO The Elite Meet?

Why I Became Active in Palo Alto Forward
By Steve Levy | 10 comments | 2,053 views

Guest Post from HSSV: Adopt a Naughty Dog!
By Cathy Kirkman | 1 comment | 1,375 views