Middle and High School Consensus on Ohlone Grads?

Original post made by Chris, Midtown, on Aug 30, 2008

Does anyone know how Ohlone grads fare in traditional middle and high school classes compared to their peers from traditional elementary schools?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by A wash?
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:03 pm

A middle school teacher recently told me that he saw no differences between the kids from Ohlone, Hoover and neighborhood schools.

I've also heard that a disproportionate number of top kids at Paly and Gunn are from Ohlone but have seen no supporting data.

Posted by palo alto mom
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I don't know about long term results, but when my daughter was in 6th grade, the Ohlone kids had a challenging time making the transition from no homework to Jordan homework. Not sure what that means - I think 75% of homework is fairly useless busy work anyway.

Posted by Parent without handles
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm

As a non Ohlone parent who has met Ohlone parents at middle school, I would agree with palo alto mom when she says that homework is the big issue as they integrate into the regular middle school programs. I would actually go further and say that the homework load is not only a problem for the 6th graders, but also their parents as there seems to be a feeling of the parent losing the knowledge of what is going on in the classroom in the way that they always knew what was happening while at Ohlone. In other words, it is not just the child that has to adapt but the parents also.

Posted by ng
a resident of Hoover School
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:46 pm

My oldest son went to Ohlone then JLS - Gunn

He spent the 1st year at JLS in connections which was not a great success.
The main issue for him was getting good at competition and winning, taking wrestling helped that alone with my coaching.

He went on to be a straight As and then to Stanford.

Ohlone was a great experience for him at that age and the teachers and principle were very good. I hope the culture has not been destroyed by the ChinComm Mandarin frankenstein monster, I hope Susan Charles kicks it out if it starts to pollute the rest of the school.

Posted by steve
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 31, 2008 at 8:34 pm

How is that chinese communist experiment working at Ohlone?

I pity the locals with all the extra traffic

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 1, 2008 at 12:03 am

Steve,

So far, extra traffic. Otherwise, it's a bit early for anything to be working or not working.

As for the original question--the high school students I've known from Ohlone don't seem to have any particular problem. I've heard what other posters are saying--that the middle-school transition can be bumpy. Not because the kids aren't adequately prepared, but because of the change in how things are done.

So my anecdotal info. jibes with that of the other posters. It depends a lot on the kid, of course. I can think of one case where the kid slid into Jordan and immediately got straight As. Oldest child, lot of self-direction. If you've got one of those kids who doesn't have to be nagged to finish things then the transitions going to be easier.

Posted by Another Ohlone Parent
a resident of Ventura
on Sep 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Ohlone graduates do very well in middle & high school and many go to very prestigious universities. I know a few Ohlone graduates who attended Castilleja & Girls Middle School which have entrance exams. My two Ohlone graduates got excellent grades at Terman.

This community is too obsessed about test scores! What about quality of life? Being kind to one another? Low suicide rates?

Posted by OhlonePar