Major power outage hits Stanford, Menlo Park

Original post made on Aug 18, 2008

Power has been restored to about 17,000 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers on the Peninsula this afternoon following a major outage that affected just over 21,000 customers, a PG&E spokesman said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, August 18, 2008, 1:25 PM

Posted by random rambling
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 18, 2008 at 4:38 pm

"At Stanford, Physics Department administrator Khoi Huynh was helping a customer with liquid nitrogen when the lights went out."

What's with such a random sentence in this article? PA online should've mentioned that I was sitting in my cubicle playing scrabulous when the room went dark.

It's also ironic that Stanford's Emergency website went down during the blackout since the server doesn't have a backup power source... leaving employees 'in the dark' about what's going on.

Posted by Robin
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 18, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Someone had some power at Stanford--I got a phone call from the emergency system...and I live in Tennessee! (I had to choose a neighborhood...so I chose the first one)

Posted by Stanford parent
on Aug 19, 2008 at 8:47 am

This was very odd. We received an automated voice mail from the Stanford Emergency Services people because we are listed as the emergency contact for our daughter. She is a Stanford student, but not enrolled this summer. Did they send this alert....over a power failure...to every Stanford parent???!

Posted by Robin
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:08 am

Apparently so. I called my son, who was working on campus, and his whole office was in hysterics. All the parents had been calling their kids, one after the other. They were highly amused at our concern.

Posted by Albee
a resident of Stanford
on Aug 19, 2008 at 2:45 pm

It's ok to laugh, but this was evidently a successful test of the system. If the power had gone out due to, say an earthquake, wouldn't parents want to know? I know I would like it if my daughters' schools had systems like this. Better too much info than to little???