Trail through Foothills Park approved

Original post made on Jul 15, 2008

Non-Palo Alto residents will be allowed to walk through a trail in Foothills Park, the Palo Alto City Council decided Tuesday night. The park was formerly open only to residents.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 9:01 AM

Posted by Martha
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm

So ... where's the new path? Just one path? My daughter got "pulled over" by a ranger for running in the park the other day without a Palo Alto ID.

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Martha,

Apparently your daughter was breaking the law. What are you complaining about? Did she pay a fine, as she should have?

Posted by Former LAH Resident
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Many bicyclists come down Page Mill Road and enter Foothill Park through the exit gate, I've watched them do it. I asked the guard at the entrance if she ever stops them. She told me "no" they're going too fast. The bicyclist use the toilets in Foothill Park on a regular basis and no one stops them.

As a resident of LAH I walked my dog in the park almost daily no one ever stopped me. The guy running in the Park who claimed he was attacked by a Mountain Lion entered through a trail from Portola Valley that goes through Los Trancos Woods.

Posted by Mike
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:17 pm

This is old news from 2005 when LaDoris Cordell, who apparently is angry all the time about everything, was outraged about the park rule on residents only, and saw it as racist. Thankfully she is now gone from our council. She is more suitable for the Berkeley council and blatantly socialist policies.

What is new here?

Posted by Zonie_baloney
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Is the mountain lion a guard dog to eat all the scum that wander into this hallowed ground? They can keep their stinking park.

Posted by Martha
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:03 pm

John, a resident of the College Terrace Neighborhood -

Why do you assume I am complaining? Man, there are some aggressive unpleasant people on these comment boards.

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:15 pm

"So ... where's the new path? Just one path? "

Martha. that is your comment. VERY huffy!

Posted by Martha
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:41 pm

John, who in the blazes are *you* to be reading "huffy" into the disembodied words another soul has typed into a text field? Actually I think it's a funny image, being "pulled over" on foot. Am I eager to know where this path is? Sure. Would I like to see more than one open path? Sure. But how does that annoint you as the PAOnline schoolmarm who takes it upon himself to lecture other commenters about their inner motives and the precise punishments they and their children deserve?

Posted by wondering
a resident of University South
on Jul 17, 2008 at 7:52 pm

I don't get this - there already IS a path that non-residents can use to access Foothills Park - in fact, I think there are two! There's one that goes from Los Trancos Open Space preserve, it's called the Page Mill Trail. And there's another that goes from Arastradero Preserve into Foothills Park. I was under the impression that if you entered from one of those other parks you didn't have to be a Palo Alto resident. I even think that part of the trail is part of the Bay-to Ridge trail. So what is this new trail supposed to be?

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Martha,

I am a citizen of Palo Alto. I want to protect the Fotthills Park as a nature preserve, as intended, for PA citizens. You bitched about your daughter being "pulled over". That is what rangers do, to make sure that the law is enforced.

You are VERY huffy! Who ARE you? If you are really from Los Altos Hills, you are sounding VERY entiltled, indeed.

Posted by Hah
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:15 pm

John, I'm a PA citizen too and I like FHP too. Do me a favor, have a beer and get a good night's sleep.

Martha, personally I wish the park were open to all and hope you use it often. And I didn't find you especially huffy.

Posted by Martha
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Jul 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm

John, I'm reporting you to the admins. Your use of insulting language ("bitching") is completely inappropriate.

Posted by Resident
on Jul 21, 2008 at 8:19 am

It is high time both Foothill Park and the Arastradero Preserve were donated to the Mid-Peninsula Open Space. It costs Palo Alto a lot of money to maintain these Parks/Preserves. If we handed them over to the MPOS they'd maintain them, and they wouldn't continue this segregated, discriminatory, apartheid policy of keeping non-PA residents out.