Hands-free law goes into effect Tuesday

Original post made on Jun 30, 2008

A new state law requiring drivers to be hands-free while talking on their mobile phones goes into effect Tuesday. Drivers under 18 years old aren't allowed to use mobile phones in any way while driving, Palo Alto Police Sgt. Sandra Brown said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, June 30, 2008, 9:49 AM

Posted by Driver
on Jun 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I have seen many drivers still driving with one hand to their ear, and in fact had a near accounter with one this weekend. Unless people are going to change overnight, I think this is going to be a moneywinner for the city and state.

Posted by Walter E. Wallis
on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm

How about two hands at ten and two all the time. Might make shifting and flipping the turn signal of wiper switch difficult.

Posted by Mike
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:48 pm

This is only half of the solution. We also need a law regarding ladies putting on their make-up, men shaving, and people reading, doing suduko and crossword puzzles, texting on their phone and reading email. As a motorcycle rider I already have to be careful out there, but it is people not paying attention while driving just makes it worse. Let me ask the ladies, would you put on make up while holding a loaded pistol in one hand? Remember that your car *is* a deadly weapon.

Posted by Peter
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Walter,

With the advent of airbags, I think the recommended hand position has become more like four and eight, otherwise the expanding airbag might break wrists or forearms. From that position, you can hit the stalks with your fingers and still hold the wheel.

Posted by Kerry
a resident of Southgate
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:09 pm

"As a motorcycle rider I already have to be careful out there"

That's a real laugher, Mike! You guys are constantly cutting between lanes of cars, at high speed, in order to make the stop light faster than the rest of us. Wait your turn, then you will be in a safer spot!

Posted by Walter E. Wallis
on Jun 30, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Thank you, Peter. I'll try that. And Kerry, I tried lane splitting just once and got scared straight. I still have my M-1. Leathers gone, though.

Posted by Mike
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 1, 2008 at 11:21 am

"You guys"

Nice one Kerry. Apparently *everyone* who rides a motorcycle is the same. Care to generalize more subsets of the population? It is one of many ways that racism manifests itself.

Posted by What to buy?
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jul 1, 2008 at 11:31 am

Getting back to mobile phones ----- can anyone recommend a good hands-free device with exceptional sound quality? Additionally, any suggestions for what to use with behind-the-ear hearing aids? Answers to either question would be most appreciated!

Posted by Mike
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by student
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:43 pm

This is a ridiculous law! Are you kidding me?

Look at the research - when people are in a conversation they are not paying attention...its not the actual holding the phone part! Even with the hands free device people will be having heated conversations and will be just as distracted.

We should be able to talk on the phone while driving. I mean, if youre not holding a phone because of this stupid law then you might be more inclined to eat in the car or do something else while driving. People talk on the phone because they get distracted and its easy to replace that with something else. Plus, bluetooth can be JUST AS DISTRACTING.

So instead of catching people for speeding or noticing a possible drunk driver or catching criminals police will be looking for drivers with cell phones. Are we really living in America here? I'm going to prove this law wrong. What if I just hold my phone without talking on it? Maybe I should hold up a book with one hand while driving, or a piece of paper. Bluetooth can make it easier for people to turn their car into an office - so they can talk on the phone while flipping through papers with their free hand.

I am hoping that someone will get this law reversed.

Posted by Shopper
on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I bought a hands free device from Verizon for my Verizon phone which would not be compatable for a bluetooth on the recommendation of one of their salespeople. It was rubbish.

Posted by silly law
a resident of Southgate
on Jul 3, 2008 at 7:08 am

Well, this is funny. I came darn close to 2 accidents yesterday trying to find the darn bluetooth device when it fell out of my ear one time, and trying to get it to reconnect the other time.

I was safer with just a phone.

What is silly about this is that it isn't the HOLDING of the phone that is the problem of accidents ( assuming there is ANY statistical evidence that accidents go up with cell phones, which I SINCERELY doubt), it is the CONVERSATION. I am more likely to be distracted by conversation with someone IN the car than nobody in the car.

If it were just the hand held part, why don't we outlaw holding coffee cups? Food? Fiddling with radios?

This is absurd.

Anyone at all have any data to show that Ear pieces get mandated, and deaths from car accidents go down?

Classic "there ought to be a a law" thinking.