Mattress dumping

Original post made by johnh, College Terrace, on Jun 24, 2008

I've been the victim of mattress dumping now twice. The first time was about a year ago, about this time of year. I came home to find a mattress on my lawn, well that part between the street and the sidewalk.

Once is just random, twice is a pattern. I called the police about it, and they did nothing. I wasn't expecting them to show up and drag it off, that isn't their job. But I was expecting at least a report, and some information on how I can dump this thing. If I take it to the dumps or have it removed, it'll cost me. I've done the only thing I can with it, put a free sign on it, and hope someone wants it.

I don't know if someone dropped it off, or if it fell off the back of a vehicle. I'm asking that if people find a mattress on the street, please don't drag it on to private property. The owner will be responsible for it then, and have to pay to dump it ($15.00).

It's really bad that people are either dumping their hard to dispose of furniture on other peoples' property, or that you shouldn't do the right thing and clear junk off the street.

Posted by Lois
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:16 am

John: The area between the street and the sidewalk isn't even your property; it is easement land and belongs to the City. Get the City to remove it. If not, PASCO offers residents a one time removal of large bulky items for free each year. You can use your once a year free pick-up.

Posted by johnh
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:46 am

Thanks Louis, I always thought that was part of my property. I'll contact the city with this information, and give you all an update on the situation.

Posted by Walter E. Wallis
on Jun 24, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Expect more of this as the cost of legally disposing grows. In a rational society all trash would be compacted and transported to an incinerator - excuse me, a biomass to energy conversion facility, where its heat would generate electricity and the ashes then would be sifted to recover any valuable metals.

Posted by Paul
a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 24, 2008 at 1:00 pm

It's been tried elsewhere, Walter. Not all the mass in a mattress (or general trash) is biomass. You get really nasty chemicals in the ash and flue gas.

Posted by johnh
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 24, 2008 at 1:25 pm

UPDATE - It's been resolved. Either someone already took it, or Public Works picked it up. I like to think that Cathy over at Public Works (the second person we talked to at Public Works) had a hand in this. She stepped up and went above and beyond the call of duty. She did not simply transfer us around, but helped us get this resolved, and it wasn't even her job to do it!

Thank you Cathy! We need more people like you working for the city.

Posted by Lois
on Jun 24, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I put an old recliner and footstall with a free sign on them out in my front yard on Saturday morning, by 4 PM they were gone. The recliner has a tear in the seat so it wasn't a thing of beauty but someone wanted it. I've been meaning to look on Craig's list to see how much they're asking for it!!

Posted by Walter E. Wallis
on Jun 24, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Paul, the emissions from a biomass burner are readily controlled with proven flue gas treatment, usually some combination of electrostatic precipitators and scrubbers. The nasty chemicals in the ash are amenable to commonly used innerting or conversion, and at any rate are no worse than those elements in controlled land fill.

Posted by bye bye brats
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:42 pm

A mattress dumped in College Terrace? Sounds like irresponsible Stanford students. Complain to the University so that they can give the rich brats an "orientation" when they come to town and a "reminder" when they leave for the summer that the rest of us appreciate a clean community and neighborhoods. We'll be here long after they've chugged their last beer and had their last party in PA.

Signed,
Tired of living next to a rental house of Stanford students.

Posted by Bye Bye College Terrace
a resident of Stanford
on Jun 25, 2008 at 11:30 am

Bye Bye Brats--please provide the police with proof that the mattress was dumped by an irresponsible stanford student.
I probably think it was a whiny College Terrace resident who did it so that they could blame Stanford and get more traffic calming for College Terrace.

Posted by dave
a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Johnh. How great that your posting brought two positive experiences - one from Lois (not Louis!) about the City's responsibility, and the second that you found a helpful city worker. My own experience is that there are many Cathys working for the city.

When one has a problem as you did, try the City's web site for information or call a department to see if they can help you. If you get an initial brush off, just go up the ladder - but you shouldn't have to do this very often.