Library Survey

Original post made by Resident, Palo Verde, on Jun 3, 2008

I have just received a survey in the mail today about what I would like to see in improvements to the PA library service.

Am I the lucky one, or does everyone get one?

This survey has been prepared on really nice paper with photos and professional layout/design. I do have to put a stamp on my return post card. Is this an expensive way to do such a survey?

Posted by A light reader
on Jun 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Well, the city council has been working for the past two or three years to put libraries back on the ballot. I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I guess if this gives us a chance to tell the council what we want, it might save us money in the long run and give us something more akin to what we need. And the council will have more input than just from the yammerers who constantly go to city hall.

As for needing to put a stamp on the return post card, the post office charges 27 cents. if someone doesn't think their opinion is worth that, it's fine with me that the city didn't pay for it.

Light Reader

Posted by Resident
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 3, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Light

I am with you on the putting on a stamp. I may have come across disapproving, but I would be more disapproving if they had paid return postage. If my opinion is worth my putting on a stamp then it is more valuable than if it had cost me nothing.

I think it is good that the survey exists and it is not just those with enough time on their hands to turn up at Council meetings that will be heard. I just wondered if everyone got a survey or if it is just a select (lucky) portion of the residents that got one.

Posted by Marvin
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jun 3, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I got the survey also. unfortunatley the survey is based on keeping all the branches and let's you rank choices based on that (yes, i know the citiznes of PA "overwhelmingly" want all the branches--that is a crock because none of those surveys ever ask how to fund all the branches).

i plan to write, in the space provided, that a bond which means keeping all the branches will be a "no" vote from me. No ifs, ands and buts.

Posted by That's it
on Jun 3, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I didn't get a survey but I too plan to vote against a library bond in November unless the City demonstrates some kind of economy like closing Downtown and College Terrace Libraries. Main and Mitchell Park Libraries plus the Children's library will get my support but I don't support wasting money on the other two branch libraries.

Posted by WilliamR
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:50 am

I received one of the surveys, too. Since it's an oversize post card, it will probably take 42 cents postage.

Posted by Henry
on Jun 4, 2008 at 11:21 am

If it is the same as the one posted on the city's web, the questions are a travesty.
Repetitive and overlapping questions mostly pointing to the expansion of Mitchell park and children's services.
oh yes, an afterthought about the collection.

Posted by survey recipient
on Jun 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm

THE QUESTIONS

Based on your knowledge of the needs of our library
branches and the Mitchell Park Community Center, let us
know your priorities for the proposed improvements.

(Please rank in priority order, with 1 being the most important and 12 the least
important)

__ Adding quiet study areas at the libraries
__ Renovation and expansion of the Main Library
__ Significant expansion and rebuilding of the Mitchell Park Library and Community Center
__ Renovation of the Downtown Library
__ Dedicated spaces that allow children, teens and adults to use the libraries simultaneously
__ Updating libraries to meet current technology demands, such as wiring and internet configuration
__ Dedicated spaces that allow children, teens and adults to use the Mitchell Park Community Center simultaneously
__ Expanding library reading and learning areas for children and youth
__ Providing spaces for community events and meetings at the libraries
__ Upgrading lighting in the libraries
__ Expanding the size of the collection and materials in the libraries
__ More computers for public use at Mitchell Park Library

Posted by Resident
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:21 pm

There should be spaces for more comments and to add categories. I would gladly get rid of some and put others in place, namely air conditioning so that the library does not close in hot weather and a system whereby ordering books from other libraries is available (I think it is called LINK). The ones I would get rid of are to do with Downtown and College Terrace. I would add that these should be closed and/or replaced with a collection/pick up desk for pre-ordered materials.

Any more ideas before I fill in mine.

Posted by anonymous
on Jun 5, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I think the comments and questions section needs to be larger space - I could barely fit in my comment. I question how much input will be received in view of the fact that it is limited/constrained by the format they put on the postcard.

Posted by Snow job
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:46 am

I want to know "How much each one of these individual items will cost?" Why is there no mention of money and costs involved? There is not enough information here; they are asking for a Bond Measure of some $80,000+. I want to know how much they plan to spend on each item. C'mon give us the facts!!!

Posted by Its voluntary
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:25 pm

The so called survey is mailed back to the manager in charge of the project so there is no way you can count on a summary of the responses. Three of the 12 options concern space for children so don't be surprised at the outcome.
Responding is voluntary so it does not represent the population.

Posted by Resident
on Jun 6, 2008 at 1:08 pm

This survey was addressed to the only registered voter in our home rather than the householder or homeowner. It appears that it is only voters' opinions they want rather than the general populace. Of course, it could be said that the majority of homeowners are registered voters, but in an area with so many immigrants, this is a far different survey than if it had been sent to a random sample of all PA residences.