A matter of pride

Original post made on May 6, 2008

Thousands of visitors attended the 37th annual Stanford Powwow this weekend in the Eucalyptus Grove on Stanford campus. The American Indian celebration featured nearly non-stop dance contests and public dancing, as well as booths selling American Indian food and crafts such as pottery, jewelry, beading and sculpture.
Photos by David Cenzer/Palo Alto Weekly.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, May 11, 2008, 2:38 PM

Posted by sally
a resident of College Terrace
on May 6, 2008 at 4:00 pm

I like the fact that they do not sell alcohol at the powwow

yet every year I go I see piles of recently discarded alcohol containers around the site of the event so many people are in fact drinking

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on May 8, 2008 at 2:46 pm

So it is O.K. to stereotype the "drunken Indian" but not to criticize the Indig's usurpation of Native American?

Posted by Just there Sunday afternoon
on May 11, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I spent the day there and thouroughly enjoyed the dances, crafts and foods. I did not see anyone drinking nor was alcohol served.

I find it strange and odd that the takeaway someone has of this event is empty liquor cans. If the tribes camped there all weekend and someone wanted to have a beer after hours, why is that wrong? I think someone must not have enjoyed the Powow if all they focused on was looking in the trash cans for booze.

Posted by Claire
a resident of Downtown North
on May 11, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Great event! I hope it continues.

Posted by Dwayne
a resident of Stanford
on May 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm

famous ..photograph a white guy dressed in native regalia..to represent natives from all over the USA and Canada...at least photograph a real native american !!!

Posted by sonia
a resident of Woodside
on May 15, 2008 at 12:04 pm

"A white guy dressed in native regalia" PLEASE! Stop perpatuating the stereotypes about Native people. Are we all supposed to be dark with long braids? We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I'm sure if you spoke to him he would tell you that he is infact native. The powwow is a perfect example of the diversity of Indian people. Guess you were too busy trying to spot "white" people.

Posted by Tlahuitollini
a resident of Stanford
on May 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm

All my relations.
Great event. Students and their supporters pour in their time. Honored to be there with the Aztec Dancers. Thanks to the newspaper and the community

Posted by Cuauhxihuitl
on May 15, 2008 at 11:38 pm

What a wonderful gathering! Everyone who worked on putting the event together should truly feel proud and accomplished. I witnessed only respect, laughter and the sense of community within each of the three days that I attended the pow wow. Beautiful regalias all around! I am thankful for the opportunity to dance with the Mexika dancers and can't wait for next year's gathering. Tlazocamatli

Posted by Cuauhcihuatl
on May 18, 2008 at 11:16 am

It is a tradition for our family to attend the stanford powwow for mothers day. With four generations we love being there. My family dances and shares prayers with all those who attend. I think the students do a great job and all those who participate and volunteer to help maintain the weekend. I seen no alcohol and felt a respectful atmosphere. See you next year!