Theater probe enters home stretch, chief says

Original post made on Mar 27, 2008

The criminal investigation into suspected financial crimes at the Palo Alto Children's Theatre could be completed within three to four weeks, Police Chief Lynne Johnson said today (Wednesday).

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 11:55 AM

Posted by Theater Kid, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 27, 2008 at 8:26 am

If parts of the case have been forwarded to the D.A.'s office, someone is going down!
Soon the fat lady will sing and we'll all know the sordid details (not a personal reference).

Posted by Perp walk, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 27, 2008 at 8:35 am

Glad that the police are close to wrapping this up--maybe then the vilification of that agency will cease by the "Children's Theatre Staff are saints and do not deserve this persecution" clique.
Looks like one of the staff has been up to no good:

"In particular, Curtis is being investigated for allegedly accessing his theater computer while attending the funeral of Litfin, according to several sources."

Of course, the CT staff apologists will claim this is further persecution. After all if a saint wants to access his computer, why should he have to obey the rules.

Posted by Paul Wanless, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 27, 2008 at 9:21 am

As strong a supporter of the theater as I am, and as much as I respect the past dedication and work of Rich Curtis at PACT, I have absolutely no sympathy for him if he really did try to access his computer after specifically being instructed to stay out of the theater. That's just plain STUPID and there's no excuse for it...and in this particular case, Perp walk, as much as it pains me to say so, you may be absolutely right...assuming he actually did...it hasn't yet been PROVEN that he did, but even alleging casts some doubt in my strong belief of the staff. I certainly hope it turns out to be a mistake.

Posted by still loyal, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 30, 2008 at 8:55 am

Rich Curtis is one of the most honest people I have ever known, so Paul you obviously don't "know "Rich", or wouldn't have said that. Your loss.
This world would be better place if there were more Rich Curtis's, Can anyone say that about you? I am not sure I would want a friend that so quickly betrayed me.

Posted by Paul Wanless, a resident of Mountain View
on Apr 1, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Still loyal - I'm quite ready to believe that it was all a mistake if someone tells me so, and certainly will even believe the possibility that someone else accessed Rich's computer.

No matter who takes such action of accessing a computer when explicitly told not to by police investigators, ASSUMING SUCH ACTION IS ACTUALLY TAKEN, is just not a very smart thing to do. I've certainly done some equally idiotic things in my life as well, which has cast doubt on my own character from friends, family and co-workers. And I understand completely that it hasn't yet been proven that he did anything wrong.

However, I have an equally difficult time believing that investigators would falsify such allegations. If computer access wasn't relevant, then why was it even mentioned at all? There just seems to be something I'm missing here, and I don't like the feeling very much about an institution I've always had nothing but positive feelings for. I was disappointed to see the allegation in print.

Quite obviously there are things here going on that I have no clue about, but I would like nothing better than to see everyone on the staff completely vindicated of everything.

I am only saying that such stories plant seeds of doubt in my mind, perhaps wrongly so, but also that maybe there's another side that I didn't see before, as much as I would not like to. I would be devastated and extremely hurt if any of the staff were charged, as I've always had strong belief in all of them. I want nothing more than for all the staff to be completely cleared of everything.

I just don't like what's going on here at all.

Posted by Paul Wanless, a resident of Mountain View
on Apr 1, 2008 at 12:26 pm

BTW, loyal, I also should mention that you're absolutely right. I've been following this whole ordeal as best I can from the start, and I get upset every time I think about it, and this last article really ticked me off worse than anything because it is the first, i believe, to mention any direct actions by any of the staff rather than speaking in vague general terms.

I do offer my apologies and just hope this is over ASAP so the people involved can get back to their rightful jobs. Because I love them all.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.