Stanford to help build new Saudi university

Original post made on Mar 4, 2008

Stanford will join with other American universities in helping establish the new King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in Saudi Arabia by assisting with faculty selection and curriculum development, it was announced today.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 2:20 PM

Posted by In the Shadow of the House of Saud, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Wonder how many women Stanford will propose for the first round of faculty?

Posted by Hussain, a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Mar 4, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I am sure this partnership will change the Saudi soceity in positive ways.

Posted by In the Shadow of the House of Saud,, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 5, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Web Link

UC Berkeley to team with new Saudi university

Tanya Schevitz, Chronicle Staff Writer

UC Berkeley is set to sign a deal with a soon-to-open graduate university in Saudi Arabia that would give Cal millions of dollars in exchange for its help in hiring professors and collaborating on research.
------

Hmmm .. Berkeley is getting millions to help in the selection of faculty .. this article doesn't mention any money for Stanford.

If the deals are similar as the San Francisco paper suggests, wonder how come the Weekly isn't reporting about the money aspect?

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm

I wonder how democracy and capitalism will be taught in a Saudi University? How will Political Science of the world's different "systems" be taught?

How many women and gays will be hired?

How many people will wear crosses/crucifixes to work at the Saudi University?

Will Union labor be the only labor?

What about going green..how green will it be?

And the achievemennt gap, how many people will work on assuring that all colors achieve equal access to the freshman class?

What about any illegal aliens into Saudi Arabia, will they pay resident tuition?

And the poor in Saudi, who will make sure they have equal access?

Hypocrites, all of them..Flog us with this stuff at home, then pocket the money to institutionalize racism, sexism, intolerance to religion, and fasicsm, and everything else that is completely against what we believe.

Posted by litebug, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Mar 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Isn't it bad enough that we have to watch Bush literally kissing and holding hands with the Saudis...the same ones who made up the majority of the 911 attackers and the same ones who are screwing us at the oil pumps and the same ones who deny any sort of freedom to their people, especially to women? Did we need this insult added to those injuries? Is there no more needy or worthy place in the world that Stanford and its cohorts could have "helped"? Aren't the Saudis raking in enough money to buy, on the open world market, whatever expertise they need to set up their own damned universities? Seems like! What is Stanford, Berkeley or the USA getting out of this arrangement? That wasn't very clear from the article. I think this sucks in more ways than I have time to describe. It made me nauseous.

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 6, 2008 at 1:40 pm

makes me nervous to agree with litebug..but I do..

How am I thinking wrong??? Or is litebug right?

Posted by litebug, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Mar 6, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Perspective, why does it make you nervous to agree with me? It appears we are singing from the same hymn book. You raise very valid questions and points. Mine is more in the nature of a rant. I was outraged when I heard about this and still am.

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 8, 2008 at 11:17 am

Ok, I will tell you why. Normally I find you write in hyperbolic vitriol, full of conspiracy theories and emotion, lite on facts and perspective. ( I am sorry if I am mixing you up with someone else, I am going on what I believe is history without checking anything out)

So, you and I have been polar opposites on almost everything. I am a Neoconservative, you are ..not.

That is why I wonder if I am missing something here. ( It should make you wonder, too, since I am agreeing with you!)

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Mar 8, 2008 at 1:27 pm

The Saudis are very, very rich

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.