Burglary on Ames in Midtown

Original post made by Jerry, Palo Verde, on Mar 3, 2008

I thought I'd post my own breaking news as this is nearby. Around 3pm today (Monday), I saw several police officers and vehicles in front of a house on Ames, and I was informed by one of the officers that a house on Ames had been burglarized. In fact, I was asked to leave because they seemed to be concerned the suspect could still be in the immediate vicinity. Sunnyvale PD had been called in to assist with their K9. If anyone else has more details, I'd certainly like to hear, because I live very close and am very concerned.

Posted by Parent
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:36 pm

The middle school kids are riding their bikes right through this and watching what is going on. If there is anyone dangerous in the neighborhood then these kids should be prevented from going down Ames. This is not happening. My own child just got back telling me the whole story and saying that there is a police dog vehicle and a DUI vehicle there as well.

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I'd just like to add to my account of the events, The description of the I was given by a police officer was "a hispanic male, limping around." As of 3:50, it appears they are still looking.

I do agree parent. A plainclothes officer who was crouching behind a car firmly told me to leave, and of course my pride was a tiny bit bruised, however I know enough to heed his advice and do so very quickly - especially since he was the one ducking for cover. There were several people standing around watching and I don't think they should have been there, but its also possible they needed a few more personnel to do some crowd control. I'm never one to tell someone how to do there job. Its also practically impossible to not stop and look because its so dramatic, but the reality is that if the suspect came running out, armed, injured, high, whatever, the situation could get very dangerous much faster than some out-of-shape regular guy like myself could even hope to react to.

Posted by Tyler Hanley
online editor of Palo Alto Online
on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Tyler Hanley is a registered user.

Our online reporter, Don Kazak, was just out there and it looks as though things have quieted down. According to a police sergeant, a resident who lived in the 800 block of Ames returned home to find a burglar in the house. The burglar fled and police were called -- including the K-9 unit from Sunnyvale -- though they were unable to locate a suspect. There are still three Palo Alto officers on the scene and they are treating it now as a residential burglary investigation. We will post more information when/if it becomes available.

Posted by Tyler Hanley
online editor of Palo Alto Online
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Tyler Hanley is a registered user.

We just posted a story: Web Link

Thanks for the news tip Parent.

Posted by fireman
on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Palo Alto had K-9 pd dogs. Why call Sunnyvale.. Palo Alto's dog off smelling children's costumes?

Or one more service cut, Because, lack of funds.... Had to pay franks and russ'es house payments or tax's?

Is it time for a K-9 bond also.

I can see it now $39,000.00 for a dog they get from the shelter. He bit the mail person so he is trained? For crowd control??

Better idea....Mike it seems that wasted MONEY and funding is ok for you. Why don't you buy the dog??

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:57 pm

fireman:
When I walked by the unfolding scene and was approached by the first plain-clothed cop, I asked why Sunnyvale PD was there. She said, "because of the police dog," and I said, "Oh, we [meaning Palo Alto] don't have a dog?" and another police officer standing nearby said, "He's sick." It sounded like he was kidding around a little, but before I could get in on the witty banter, I was asked to leave by another cop, who wasn't being very friendly, which of course, as I stated above, I understand and appreciate his urgency.

Posted by Wondering
a resident of Green Acres
on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I heard today that one of the driving factors for the increased burglaries is the rising cost of crystal meth is driving epa users to have to steal to fund their drug habit.

Apparently, there have been several met lab busts causing the price increase.

Any truth to this?

Posted by Resident
on Mar 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm

How did the burglar gain entry?

Posted by fireman
on Mar 4, 2008 at 6:52 am

So where was the PAPD dog...

Posted by use your head
a resident of Los Altos
on Mar 4, 2008 at 8:26 am

HEY EX-FIREMAN-
Police Dogs don't work 24/7. Palo Alto would need about 3 more dogs to have 24/7 coverage. With your wonderful math and analytical abilities, you think maybe you could figure that one out?

Why don't you use some of your spare time to try for another firefighting job? Or do you just use the entire interview to spew your BS about how you hate Palo Alto, etc.?

Seroiusly, I don't know why I just wasted 3 minutes of my life responding to you, but damn, you are whacky!

Posted by Drugs are bad
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 4, 2008 at 8:43 am

Remember two weeks ago, the big meth bust that stretched from SF to Morgan Hill? Must be the law of supply & demand working here

Posted by Resident
on Mar 4, 2008 at 10:58 am

PA Police K9s are on patrol at night - makes sense to me.

Posted by bern
a resident of Meadow Park
on Mar 4, 2008 at 4:41 pm

So all the welfare dopers from EPA come to the land of the employed folks to find stuff to rip off. nice. Thats encouraging. Where's the profile of this suspect? Is there some problem printing the description in the paper?

will it cause riots when people know the truth which is that most of the crooks are "persons of color".??

Posted by EPA resident
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Mar 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Folks, stop bad mouthing other communities. As of now we do not know much about the burglar. LAND OF THE EMPLOYED!!! Persons of C______??? Get real and do not be judgemental. If you are so high and mighty why dont you get out there and make a diferrence?

Posted by Tim
on Mar 4, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Fireman,

You really need to get a life. Stop blaming everyone for not getting your job back. I'm sure you didn't even call Palo Alto PD to get some facts about their police dogs, before you went "running off at the mouth". Like "use your head" said- use your energy to try and get another firefighter job.

Posted by fireman
on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:10 am

Palo alto had several dogs. In the past. FACT I worked there touch then IN THE DAY.. FANTASTIC ANIMALS. A great resource for PD>

Dogs only work in the night???? This crime happened in the day as many have.
So all you, STEAL IN THE DAY..

How many Police dogs do you see out in the DAY in OTHER CITY"S

Palo alto's dogs are part vampire and can not work in the DAY!

What is OVERTIME... Call the K9 officer and tell him to bring the Palo ALTO EMPLOYEE, that would be the DOG!
TO WORK.. THAT would be the reason that the TAXPAYERS/citizens got them.

Home playing ball is not my idea of a good resource.. OR EXCUSE NOT TO HAVE A SERVICE>

Oh and by the way.. I need a shoulder replacement from an injury while on duty. Tim I will give you facts' you will not have to dig for them.
That the CITY OF PALO ALTO wants to cover up, Union President also.

16th,17th,18th. Find out a little bit of what is going on..

Tim asking is how you start to get facts..

Lets see I think above I asked a question..

Where was PAPD's dog...

I also think PUBLIC SAFETY IS, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week,365 days a year.
Or at least that is what they tell, BILL you for, Promise you.

Also if the CPA does not have a dog that can or will work in the day..

GET ONE.... BETTER YET GET 2.. Ask FRank to pay back some of his 500,000.00 LOAN. To fund this!!

Maybe some of the 141k for an assistent diretor of a 5? person DEPARTMENT.

lets see 2 big dollar positions. for how many 5 employee's

That's 1 manager for every 2.5 EMPLOYEE's

Use your HEAD.... I do not hate PALO ALTO..

I hate to see what has HAPPENED to IT.. Hate to see what has happened to other employee's and my friends who work there.

Hate to see people who have done all the DAMAGE getting away with it.
And getting RICH at it..
Oh and yes we FIREFIGHTERS work 24 hours,

And with Moral as low as it is/was. WE were ordered into work or ordered to stay at work and not go home. DAY and NIGHT!!!!

Funny I could respond to try and save your life at 0900hrs, 9am...DAY TIME Call 911 14hrs later at 11pm at night.. AND YOU GET THE SAME CREW..

These dog do not stay up 24hrs a day.. Funny I think these dogs can even sleep while on duty... JUST AS LONG AS THERE ARE READY TO WORK WHEN NEEDED>>

I would guess that THE K9 officer.. THE DOG is the best CPA EMPLOYEE..
They can't talk, will work for dog food, loyal, smart, well trainned.
And since many employee's are treat like abused dogs.. They can relate to other city employee's well.. These dogs get treated better..
Have any of you above EVER WORKED AS A POLICE OFFICER, Firefifghter, Paramedic..

This is not to bash PAPD... Give them what they need to to do their jobs..

Not BS and CUTS....

LET's look into this..
PAPD dogs do not work at night... BECAUSE of budget cuts and decreased service level's
MAYBE??????

Posted by Fireman
on Mar 5, 2008 at 10:28 am

So SUNNYVALE HAS A DOG ON DUTY IN THE DAY???

Wait I thought that K9 police are not needed in the DAY>>

Or thier dog can answer the phone but, NOT PAPD's Dog?

Maybe you should practice what you preach??? USE YOUR HEAD!

Or sunnyvale has a higher level of service. At a lower cost??

It starts at the TOP!!!!

Oh BTW it is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA..

All these people, communities are under ONE FLAG.

STOP POINTING YOUR FINGER AT THE OTHER PERSON or COMMUNITIES.

I would bet that the PALO ALTO POLICE OFFICER, who is lucky enough to have been pick for this position would of LOVED the chance to perform his DUTY, The duty that he and his k9 partner were/are train for? PAID FOR..

Not just pick up after his dog and throw the ball for him>in the day!!! When there is no crime??

Maybe he was at the DOGGIE SPA?? Think..

Wow one more have nothing more to say person.. Well use your head and Tim. Nothing more to say???

Did you find out anything new in that 3 minutes,, Or you knew it ALL BEFORE YOU EVEN LOOKED>

And yes the world is FLAT, use your head, who ever tells you it is round is WHACKY.
Turn the smoke machine up.. Your smoke screen is getting a little thin there old boy.

SUPPORT YOUR PD.. GET THEM A LEADER WITH COMMON SENSE.
One who wants to serve the CITIZENS, NOT FRANK AND GARY..

Posted by fireman
on Mar 5, 2008 at 10:39 am

Oh Sorry to my friend's in the PAPD...

I know trying to serve the CITIZENS and the PUBLIC. Makes one a target in PALO ALTO. From above.

Why take a chance and lose your job or halt your future in the PAPD/PAFD.
Just play the game, get your check and go home.

LIKE SO MANY IN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DO>>> GOOD people fearful to do a good job..

GREAT.. For the citizens and the public..

Here in Palo Alto we only fight crime after 8pm... ITS A MATTER OF PRIDE!!

A Police officers job is very hard anywhere but, here in PALO ALTO

You should give the good one's a HUGE THANK YOU and a PAT on the BACK.
Why ? Because this city's leaders make it so very hard to do good work!

Posted by use your head
a resident of Los Altos
on Mar 5, 2008 at 11:17 am

Dear Ex-Fireman-

I really hope your shoulder gets fixed. It is very sad to hear about people getting hurt on the job. By the way, what's wrong with working 24 hour shifts? I'm sure you knew about this when you went through the hiring process, right? You work 2 a week and all the rest of your time is free. Oh, speaking of the hiring process, it is so difficult to get a firefighting job I'd say you were very lucky to have had that job in the first place. Obviously, they didn't have an essay writing session as part of the test. The PD does. And by the way, I called the PD and they have 3 dogs! If those dogs worked 24's that leaves 1 day with no coverage, so that's what the problem was, I'll bet.

Posted by Fireman Agree'er
on Mar 5, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Dear Fireman, pls read comments by "none" thru "oldtimer" in the Crimes and Incidents section (i think) or pls find the comments. Their tone is agreeable to your very valid insites.

Posted by new
a resident of Downtown North
on Mar 5, 2008 at 12:23 pm

under "NEW CRIME TRACKING SYSTEM LAUNCHES"

Posted by new
a resident of Downtown North
on Mar 5, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Dear Fireman, Joanna and other like-minded. Pls see comments under "NEW CRIME SYSTEM LAUNCHES" submitted by "none", "oldtimer" and others.

Posted by fireman
on Mar 5, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Use your head.

I loved working 24 hr shifts. It is 2.5 a week. Or 56 hours a week.

Yes I was very lucky but, I worked at it. Very lucky. I owe the Fire Service and the City of Palo Alto a great deal.

That is one reason I am doing this!!!!

Get your copy when I pass them out.

Just remember it is only a small fraction of the terrible things that have/are going on in the city of palo alto.

When I started as a entry level Firefighter. I had more experience then Ruben Grajalva did when he was FIRE CHIEF.
All most all are entry level firefighters had/have more FIREFIGHTING experience then he did/does. Different issue. One of the many.

I hurt my shoulder at work and the City will not cover it. Had the Union president talk me out of going to the hospital to have my injury looked at. I have witnesses. I am fighting it now. Have been for 5 years.. 5 YEARS!!!! You really need to read the things I will be passing out.

Dogs are not people. There job and there fellow police officer are there life.
They love to work. Very well trainned dogs.
Incredible animals. I have worked in the Hayward animal shelter in the past donating my time. Love animals ,all.

There is no reason or excuse that a resource for the Citizens is not there when needed.

It is paid for. It should be there. All they have to do is call. It is off duty overtime call back. The city pays at least 4 hour when you are called in off duty. Even if you work 4 minutes. I think most k9 officers would like that. Get paid time and a half and work the dog for real.
I do not think that is the reason.
3 dogs can give you lots of coverage. 24hr 7 day a week..coverage.
My spelling has given me troble my whole life.
I have dislexea. I had a little book that i made that had all the big word in it that I needed. I made it through STANFORD Paramedic school as one of the top in the class.

Remember I was the youngest firefighter in Palo Alto when I was hired at the time.
The youngest Paramedic when I finished school.
Making me the youngest firefighter/paramedic. at one time only 15 of all the palo alto firefighters were paramedic's. I was one of them.

The thing about being a firefighter/Paramedic it is what you know. What skills you have. That make you good at this job.

Experience and COMMON sense

You can not put out a fire or save someones life with a book.
The job is based on facts.... You either do or you do not. Do the job well. Period!
Can you spell all the word/names of all the things you know? . Can you spell all the skills you have.
I am not teaching spelling
I have not ,nor will I ever enter a spelling bee.
I do the best that I can with what I have.

Do you think I like or want to do this? The answer is NO it makes me sick.
But someone has to stand up to these HEARTLESS liers. If you think I am sick.

TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT THE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS CITY!!!!!

Posted by use your head
a resident of Los Altos
on Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Ex-Fireman-
I apologize for my criticism of your writing skills. I did not realize you had a learning disability. Actually, I can spell everything that's required for my job description, but I was wrong in picking on the less fortunate. I need to remember what my Mom used to say about that and practice it. She also used to say "there's more than one way to skin a cat". I think that's good advice too.

Posted by fireman
on Mar 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm

use your head.

No problem. My fight is with the CITY. And firefighters union.

I keep all others out for I am fearful of what the city will do to them.
The time will come. When we see who stands behind me.

I have had to live with it. I am not proud of it. That is why i am good with my hands.
I am not that stupid, I had skills,
Please just get a copy and check it out. Put it in the bathroom and read it when you get a chance..

See how the City leader have gotten everyone to fight around them.

Try working in that enviorment. It will make you WHACKY..

Posted by just thinking
on Mar 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm

(ex0Fireman wrote "My fight is with the CITY. And firefighters union."
Begs a question about positions I don't think really needs to be ask out loud.

Posted by FIREMAN
on Mar 7, 2008 at 9:25 am

Just thinking..

It has been SILENT in PALO ALTO, WAY TOO LONG! AND LOOK WHAT HAS HAPPENED?