Public Libraries Pay Positive Return on Tax Dollar Investment, Valuation Studies Show

Original post made by Mike, College Terrace, on Feb 29, 2008

This is pretty impressive stuff. A few of these 23 studies - whose conclusions are listed in detail, below, clearly show that public libraries pay back POSITIVE returns for every tax dollar invested. There are many more reasons to invest in libraries, other than getting positive returns on your tax dollars, but it's good to know that rather than the myth that public libraries simply consume tax dollars, they actually pay back a POSITIVE RETURN on your tax dollar investment.

This story contains 2051 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Truth
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Mar 1, 2008 at 7:33 am

I hope at this point nobody gets duped by this. There is a whole thread here Web Link largely dedicated to first mocking and then debunking this and related nonsense. There were others in years past.

It's a shame that Mike insists on ceaselessly pumping this brand of snakeoil. He does a disservice to those who actually want to wrestle with the issues of PA libraries.

Posted by Pamela
a resident of Southgate
on Mar 1, 2008 at 8:19 am

Truth is right. It is unfortunate that one poster, claiming to be in favor of doing something about the library situation, actually has done more to discredit the notion that we need a library bond than legions of "naysayers" could ever have done.

Sometimes it makes one wonder which side this poster is on. I'm tentaively (still) in favor of the bond. I wish this guy were arguing on the other side.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Posted by Mike
a resident of College Terrace
on Mar 1, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Truth (?), Pamela, It's too bad that you don't know that the 23 studies have NOT been discredited.

On the contrary, they have been used to help pass bonds in at 23 cities that they were completed in.

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Matt and Judy
a resident of Greater Miranda
on Mar 1, 2008 at 7:35 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Howard and April
on Mar 1, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Looks like those 23 studies got ripped to shreds in that other thread, we will be voting against it.

Posted by Anna
a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 1, 2008 at 8:35 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by zero dollar return
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 1, 2008 at 9:36 pm

This return on investment theme is just a bunch of BS...

Let's see. If the bonds pass, I'll pay new taxes for the libraries. That's money out of my pocket.

Let's assume now that my house will increase in "value" because of it. That won't put a penny in my pocket because my house is nothing else than my home. I won't sell it any time soon because I need a roof over my head and I could not buy anything comparable to my house after I sold it.

Thus, my return on investment on the new taxes I'll pay for the libraries if the bonds pass: ZERO dollar as in $0.

Posted by happy to vote yes on the bond
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by the bond will pass
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Chris
on Mar 2, 2008 at 10:45 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by pa library user
on Mar 2, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I think everyone (or almost) agrees that Mitchell Park and Main need upgrades. The question in many minds is whether College Terrace and Downtown branch should even exist, much less have money spent on them.

Does anyone know how many unique people visit those libraries each week? Not how many visits, but how many people (multiple visits in one week don't count). I'd be curious how many individuals actually benefit from those very small branched as opposed to the huge number of people using Mitchell Park and the large number at Main. (I personally seldom see many people in the Downtown Library.)

Posted by bond voter
a resident of Professorville
on Mar 2, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Add me to the list supporting spending as much as possible on libraries. This is a "get something for nothing" proposition if I ever saw one.

I hope the Council goes for as large a bond as possible. We should be adding branches instead of talking about closing some.

When people become familiar with the 23 studies, and realize that the library bonds will actually put money in their pockets, we'll have 90% or more voters in favor of the bonds.

The 23 studies *prove* that money spent on libraries generate a 55x return to residents. Don't let the nayayers who are against all progress fool you. Let's vote in favor of the bonds and start reaping the financial benefits as soon as possible.

Posted by pa library user
on Mar 2, 2008 at 2:42 pm

so if we build more branches - PA will start sending me checks to put in my pocket? My utility bills will go down and we won't need a bond for the Safety Building or Schools because we'll have the ROI of the libraries is so good?

Libraries are a public service - not a venture fund. They may add value to your life, but no on is going to give me more cash for my house, car, or things I might sell on Ebay because of our libraries...

Posted by Mike is a Genius
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:04 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Going shopping
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I'm going shopping immediately to spend some of that money.
By the way, did anyone really read those 2,000+ words?

Posted by palibraryfan
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I would like to organize opposition to the five libraries. If you are interested in joining me, send an e-mail to palibraryfan@gmail.com

Posted by martha
on Mar 2, 2008 at 8:40 pm

I know who "palibraryfan" is, ands/he has opposed every bond that has ever been put forward. Can anyone spell "extreme libertarian"?

I love the branches, and will work harder than "palibraryfan" to make this happen.

Posted by martha
on Mar 2, 2008 at 8:41 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by RS
on Mar 2, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I think this thread is a fine example of what happens when people are not required to register to paonline and can change there names at will.

Nobu confirmed to open in Palo Alto

And one more makes three
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 6,056 views

Secretary of Plate

New York College Tours
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 1,027 views

Family Planning: Both Agree Before Getting Pregnant
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 659 views

Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund

For the last 23 years, the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund has given away more than $4 million to local nonprofits serving children and families. When you make a donation, every dollar is automatically doubled, and 100% of the funds go directly to local programs. It’s a great way to ensure your charitable donations are working at home.

DONATE HERE