Oscars 2008 -- Share your thoughts

Original post made by Tyler Hanley, digital editor of Palo Alto Online, on Feb 25, 2008

What are your thoughts on Sunday night's Oscar presentation? Did Jon Stewart do a good job as host? Did "No Country For Old Men" deserve the award for Best Picture? Who gave the best acceptance speech? The worst? Share your Oscar thoughts here!

Posted by Joanna
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:12 pm

"No country for old men" is vulgar and violent movie with average/standard acting throughout.

I watch for the clothing. Not for the "academy" vote outcomes.

Posted by Danny
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I actually liked "No Country For Old Men" and didn't find it vulgar at all (I have thicker skin than most). Still, I don't think it deserved to be named best picture. Maybe 2008 will feature lighter films. The past year was filled with dark movies.

Posted by Movie goer
on Feb 25, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Glad to see that the Oscars weren't just Americans voting for Americans. This time it felt that the whole world's efforts were included.

Posted by Kate
on Feb 25, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Frankly, I had not seen or heard of any of the movies or any of th so-called 'stars' I watched Stanford play Cal - a much better evening and much more entertaining. Evidently, I was not alone since the TV ratings for the Academy Awards were waaaay down.

Posted by Cary
on Feb 25, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Moby Dick was not a very entertaining book. Why should a B level movie, of the same theme, be accorded an award for entertainment?

Posted by anonymous
on Feb 25, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I came around very late to liking Jerry Seinfeld (I never watched the show when it was first broadcast) but now I like him very much and was humored by his appearing as a bee. I like top quality comedians like Jerry.

Posted by Tim
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Best part of the evening was when they had that young songwriter who was "cut off" by the band before she could give her winning speach, come back on stage to speak. That was a great!

Posted by Movie Buff
on Feb 26, 2008 at 9:36 am

For the second year in a row (IMO), the Oscar goes to... HELEN MIRREN'S DRESS!!!

If I am ever given an award in front of millions of people (ha!), I want to know where I can get a dress like that. This year's didn't top last year's, but then, that would have been kind of hard. Still, it was amazing! (How old is she? She was hot!)

I agree with Tim, that was great bringing back the songwriter!

Probably the best speech of the evening was given by the winner of best documentary.

Posted by laura
on Feb 26, 2008 at 10:29 am

As the movie critic of the Mercury News wrote, all of the Oscar nominated movies did not together make as much money as "Alvin and the Chipmunks." Most people feel out of touch with Hollywood and no longer go to see the nominated movies. I saw most of them and enjoyed the acting but I really watch the show to see the dresses.

Posted by Danny
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:07 pm

One of the problems this year -- as has been the case for a while now -- is the lack of diversity in the "Best Original song" category. It's almost as if Disney OWNS that category despite songs that are often corny and outdated. "Enchanted" had three songs nominated this year whereas the phenomenally talented Eddie Veder was completely overlooked for his work on "Into the Wild." I'd like to see no more than one Best Song pick for any one movie. The Academy also missed Jack Johnson's "Upside Down" from "Curious George" last year, which has gone on to become a widely popular song on the radio.

Posted by Movie Buff
on Feb 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm

This year's Oscar's proved once again that it is much harder to make a really, really good, classic film that is funny and has a happy ending than it is to make something depressing. I won't watch most of the Oscar contenders because I watch movies to be inspired, laugh, and feel uplifted. Which of the nominated films fit that bill this year except Ratatouille and maybe, surprisingly, SiCKO? And by the way, I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks, and while it was an average film with some occasionally wooden acting, it was fun and I found myself laughing out loud at several points. I'll pay money for that, not to waste two hours to be depressed.

In my opinion they should launch a separate category for BEST COMEDY!!

Posted by Whats it about
a resident of Meadow Park
on Feb 26, 2008 at 11:09 pm

I watch for the dresses too, sort of.
More accurately, how little dress they can wear and not get arrested. It's a boob show. Like most of TV and Hollywood now. Just less killing at the oscars.

Posted by Yawn
on Feb 27, 2008 at 9:46 am

I agree, it's a boob show. The kind of boob show where largely uneducated dolt actors, filmmakers etc., lecture the audience on politics (through their movies and their speeches & other activities). It is not entertaining, it is arrogant, insulting and tiresome. No wonder no one watches the Oscars anymore. I stopped years ago.

Posted by Movie Buff
on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:15 am

I thought it was a good show. Jon Stewart was funny, the dresses were incredible this year, some of the speeches were good, the songs were entertaining, especially the one that won.

But then, I watch on my TiVO now, and can speed up all the walking back and forth, skip the speeches and commercials I don't want to see, etc. In years past, I was never able to sit and watch, it's too long and slow. TiVO definitely changed the experience for me. (I actually like hearing the acceptance speeches by the more obscure winners.)

I also use the Oscars to identify the movies I want to see that I missed that year (as I mentioned above, not usually the Best Movie candidates which are usually depressing). I came up with a list of 8 movies from this year's show, including the animated short - since it got an Oscar, perhaps it will be available on Netflix.

Posted by Shar
a resident of Menlo Park
on Feb 27, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I was very happy to see 'Falling Slowly' by Glen Hansard and Marketa Iglova win the Oscar for Best Original Song. The song is extremely beautiful and moving, and the singers' own life stories are even more so. Glen Hansard made his living by scraping by as a street musician for many years, and it is very inspirational to see him rise to the pinnacle of achievement in his profession for this year. The movie is a miracle in itself; Marketa Iglova, the female lead, had never acted prior to making this movie. Here's a quick link to the Oscar-winning song: Web Link

Posted by anon
on Feb 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm

This was what the guy who won the Oscar for best documentary said,

"This is dedicated to two people who are no longer with us. Dilawar, the young Afghan taxi driver, and my father, a Navy interrogator who urged me to make this film because of his fury about what was being done to the rule of law. Let's hope we can turn this country around and move away from the dark side and back to the light."