This show, "The Giver," will go on -- tonight

Original post made on Feb 1, 2008

The Palo Alto Children's Theatre performance of "The Giver," about cracks in a perfect world, opens tonight (Friday) and plays Saturday and next weekend -- despite a continuing police investigation into suspected "financial crimes" involving theatre staff.
Above, Zachary Freier-Harrison plays "Jonas" and Will Cromarty plays "Giver" in final dress rehearsal Thursday. Photo by Norbert von der Groeben, Palo Alto Weekly.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, January 31, 2008, 10:47 PM

Posted by Luke, a resident of South of Midtown
on Feb 1, 2008 at 4:49 am

'Cracks in a perfect world.' Bravo, Norbert.

Posted by TC, a resident of Crescent Park
on Feb 1, 2008 at 1:59 pm

On with the show! Break a leg, kids.

Posted by Henry L., a resident of another community
on Feb 1, 2008 at 3:49 pm

To all the cast and crew. Have a great show. I am sure there are still some that remember me as the former TD at PACT. Break-A-Leg!!

Posted by sad&mad, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Feb 1, 2008 at 9:26 pm

This evening at around 8:00pm Michael Litfin passed away.

This evening I am saddened and feel deep shame for the city I live in for causing such grief and pain to so many - and in particular to Michael.

The Show went on as Michael would have wanted - for that I am thankful.

Posted by ChildrensTheatreRegular, a resident of Jordan Middle School
on Feb 1, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I was informed over the phone by someone in the play. I cried for a few hours. I would be no where without Michael. I hope he is honored like no one else. I didn't even think he meant that much to me, but now he's gone and I can't think of anything else. I don't even know what to say. May he rest in peace, michael Litfin, director and mentor to all he knew.

Posted by Katie Christman, a resident of Professorville
on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm

For Pat

I was grateful to be a member of the audience at the opening performance of 'The Giver' this evening. I found myself unable to say much to the cast except to thank them for what was a truly fine performance and a gift to me and to the other members of the audience.

After the play we were gathered together in the stalls of the theatre to hear the sad news that Michael had passed away approximately half an hour into the performance.

I met Michael when he first came to the theatre, in the very same place where I heard the sad news. Through my blurred eyes I found myself peering at the actors, parents, crew members and staff, and I realized I have known Michael for at least 30 years, first as an audience member, then as a participant, volunteer, employee and parent. It will take me a long time to fully understand this loss.

It seems fitting to me that he waited untill the curtain went up. I am seeing visions of him, on his hands and knees demonstrating 'how to be a polar bear,' laughing his fabulous laugh at some bit of nonsense, yelling at me for going onstage without my shoes (!), or saying,matter-of-factly, 'no, it has to be MUCH bigger, at least ten feet tall, with a picture of a fish.' Or staying up 'til midnight the night before opening, or at a strike in the old days, making sure things were just right.

I will always see him there with you Pat, and I thank you for bringing him into our lives.

Sending all our love,
Katie Christman

Posted by Resident, a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 2, 2008 at 10:06 am

I was truly amazed with the Children's Theatre performance of "The Giver." Cast and crew seemed flawless and it was the best children's performance that I have ever attended.

The show was truly incredible! Each one of the children gave an outstanding performance!

Thank you everyone from the Children's Theater for such a great show! Michael would be very proud of every one of you, cast and crew!

Posted by shellypritchard, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Feb 2, 2008 at 5:47 pm

R.I.P.MICHAEL.IGREW UP IN THE 60S IN PALO ALTO ON PARK BLVD.MY SON ANTHONY BARNES WENT TO THE P.A.CHILDRENS THEATRE FOR 3 SUMMERS SOME YEARS AGO.MICHAEL HELPED HIM ALOT.ANTHONY GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL IN 2004.HE IS IN HIS 4TH YEAR OF DRAMA COLLEGE .MARYMOUNT MANHATTEN COLLEGE IN N.Y N.Y.THANK YOU MICHAEL FOR EVERY THING,YOU WILL BE MISSED..SHELLY AND FAMILY.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.