747 and F/A-18 over midtown

Original post made by GMC, Midtown, on Jan 14, 2008

Around 12:35, a 747 flanked by at least one F/A-18 came over my house low and loud. I'm pretty sure it was headed to Moffett. Anyone know anything about that? Being that I love the sound of freedom, I though it was awesome. I've never seen anything like that around here before, however. Due to the haze and their speed, it was too far away to see what markings were on the 747.

Posted by Concerned in S Palo Alto
on Jan 14, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Frightening!!! I saw the same commercial jet with the military jet flying in Tandem!! The extremely low altitude (approx 2000ft), and the highly unusual direction of flight (SW)caught my attention immediately. Hope we'll have an answer soon...

Posted by Al Gore
on Jan 14, 2008 at 1:06 pm

It was me getting another free lunch at Google, my bad?

Posted by Lenny
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 14, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Web Link

Flying laboratory draws attention near Moffett Field
By Leslie Griffy
Mercury News
Article Launched: 01/14/2008 01:41:19 PM PST

Seeing strange things in the sky near Moffett Field? Don't worry, it's not an unidentified flying object. But maybe it could spot one.

The mystery object is a modified Boeing 747 with an infrared telescope attached. Scientists have dubbed it the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy.

And SOFIA, as the observatory is known for short, stopped by the NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett for a closed-to-the-public visit today.

SOFIA is currently based at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in Edwards, Calif.

By attaching the telescope to a plane that can fly at 45,000 feet, scientists hope to get better images of space then they can capture with earthbound equipment.

Posted by GMC
on Jan 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm

That's really cool. I saw something on the NASA channel about an older plane that used to do that, and that one was based at Moffett. Too bad that won't let geeks like me go check that thing out.

Posted by Resident
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 15, 2008 at 8:42 am

You better get used to it. It shook my house when it came over yesterday. According to the Weekly it may be stationed at Moffett permanently.

Unfortunately, NASA is trying to get as much aviation as possible to use Moffett, to justify their keeping it. Expect many more low flying planes going in and out of Moffett.

A loud red helicopter flies over my house two or three times a day, that's noisy enough!!!

Posted by Kate
on Jan 15, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Tht "loud red helicopter" is one of Stanford's fleet of medical emergency life flight helicopters. That's a crew and plane we should all revere. That crew risks its life in all kinds of weather to get people quickly to a hospital. It's MASH in flight. Love 'em.

Posted by I saw the 747 too!
on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:08 am

I saw it too leaving my work parking lot for lunch at around 12:45. I remembered talking to my husband while I saw it and immediately told him about it. He checked online but saw nothing on it. I thought I was nuts or something because no one else seemed to notice it. It happened twice and I saw 2 jets flying with it. I tried to take a picture of it with my camera phone but was very unsuccessful. That was such a beautiful site though; I'm sure it was a 747.