Spectacular Solar Energy Vision Realized

Original post made by Mike, College Terrace, on Jan 5, 2008

Web Link

We're going to many, many more innovations like this, and beyond. Although this project was completed in Spain, we're all on our way to energy independence - minus the yoke of big oil, and the death spiral of nuclear power.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jan 6, 2008 at 2:11 am

Solar energy has killed more people than the nuclear power industry, and we still don't know how to guarantee the permanent safe disposal of the waste products of solar cell production. Solar also requires the expense of standby generating capacity. Solar does make some blonds tan nicely.

Posted by My little solar story..
on Jan 6, 2008 at 10:18 am

I just had a hilarious experience with Solar..

Now that the tax structure is such that I can get other people's money to help pay for my solar AND get credit toward a remodel so I can increase the amount of space I can add onto my house, I looked into it.

The hilarious part is that now the incentive is to CUT DOWN SHADE TREES to the house so that I can get more solar panels on my roof..How stupid is that? And yet, there is nothing stopping me from doing it if I want to.

So, if I did this, which I won't, I would end up cancelling out the solar benefit by increasing the amount of heat on my home in the summer...thus more air conditioning...not to mention killing off a few more Tree Oxygen factories.

Good thing I am not greedy enough to do this, even to get permission for a bigger remodel...

That is my story of yet another "good idea gone too far and defeating its purpose" ..

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 6, 2008 at 12:08 pm

That Seville solar thermal plant is an example of urban sprawl. I support urban spawl as a solution to our various growth problems, including electricity generation, but I would think that Mike would be objecting vociferously about this solar sprawl. How many acres of land will it take to supply electricity to Seville, once this thing is completed? Also, how will Seville get its electrcity at night...won't that require fossil fuel plants, or nuclear?

Posted by MoreWaltCrap
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 6, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Walter:
"Solar energy has killed more people than the nuclear power industry"

Care to back that up, Walt, or do you just "know it" to be true - like Bush???

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jan 6, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Falling off roofs. Rooftop work is one of the more hazardous construction jobs. I just "know" some things because I speak only in areas of my expertise. Construction is one of my areas of expertise.

Posted by RS
on Jan 7, 2008 at 8:56 am

Using that logic, computers and the Internet kills, Walter. You are putting lives at risk. Stop typing now.

Posted by R Wray
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 7, 2008 at 11:03 am

The 300-foot tower and all the mirrors may be a "spectacular" vision, but this old technology is not an innovating "energy vision". Its efficiency of less than 3% is not impressive.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jan 7, 2008 at 1:59 pm

People fall off computers? People fall off the internet?
Too abstract for an engineer.