Large pothole snarls traffic on Highway 101

Original post made on Jan 5, 2008

Anyone expecting to drive south toward San Jose on Highway 101 Monday afternoon may need to think of an alternative route.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 6, 2006, 2:48 PM

Posted by Bill
on Jan 5, 2008 at 8:23 am

I lost two tires and sustained front end damage...is their any recourse from the state (cal trans).

Posted by andreas
on Jan 5, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Where on 101 is this pothole? Near what exit?

Posted by Nafooz
a resident of Mountain View
on Jan 8, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I lost my front right tire immediately after hitting that pothole on 101 South right before the 85 split on Friday Jan 4, 2008, at approximately 1:00 PM. Along with many others at that time (approximately 7-10 cars that I could see), were also pulled over with flats. The pothole was so bad that caused much more than a flat tire. I have an all-wheel drive vehicle and was forced to replace all 4 tires, costing $700+. I then noticed a that my car was terribly out of alignment. Upon paying for the alignment ($80), I learned that the impact bent a number of suspension components of my vehicle (including my front strut and a rear suspension link), the estimate to repair amounts to about $1000 in damage. I suggest that anybody else who was impacted, try to make a claim with CalTrans. Web Link
If you have any other suggestions, please comment. Thanks.

Posted by Chuck
on Jan 21, 2008 at 10:56 am

I filed claim with Cal Trans but it was immediately returned saying I did not provide enough information for them to investigate.

I put down 'South-bound 101 near 85 exit'. Isn't that close enough?

They also need 'original' paid receipt for the damage repair which I have a problem with. I need to retain the receipt myself for warranty on the repair.

Any comments?

Thanks

Chuck

Posted by Resident
on Jan 21, 2008 at 11:05 am

Chuck

Your repair place should be able to give you duplicate repair receipts and is probably used to doing so. Just go back and ask them.