Where did the sense of humor go?

Original post made by Hal Bailey on Dec 22, 2007

When I moved away from Menlo Park some years ago, I had hoped I left some of the joyous sense of humor that was part of my residency in Suburban Park. As I read your Town Square Forum this morning, I could not find any of the humor that I thought I left behind.

Thus, a remedy is available. www.danvilleweekly.com and click on the Town Square Forum.

Now, of course, you know that Palo Alto is our model and everything in Walnut Creek is becoming much like cosmopolitan Palo Alto. Unfortunately, as you drive south beyond Alamo, the area rapidly becomes the sprawl duplicated from Brea California. We have a great deal to laugh at and that could be a challenge for Palo Alto.

As I often visit my former home, Menlo Park, and enjoy Palo Alto, I can quickly see that these communities are very good at being communities and being part of their governments. Thus, as residents, you have the opportunity to use your Town Square Forum for real issues, commentary and actions.

We could only imagine,

Hal Bailey

Posted by Reality Check, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Dec 22, 2007 at 11:49 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by out of towner, a resident of another community
on Dec 22, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Actually having lived in both places, and thrived in both locations, I'd rather be in Alamo...people do have a sense of humor and are far less judgemental of each other.

Posted by Work in Palo Alto, a resident of another community
on Dec 22, 2007 at 5:54 pm

I work in Palo Alto (24 years) but live in Morgan Hill. I find Morgan Hill a much better city as far as shopping, community center, library, downtown, hotels, parks, soccer center, box retail, supermarkets, movie theaters, workout gyms, auto dealerships, crime rate and people are MORE friendly. About the only thing that Palo Alto has better, are their schools (I don't have kids) and home value prices.
But Morgan Hill is progressing on those too.
PS. My coworkers and I have stop eating lunch in the downtown (to many homeless), we go to Mt View to eat and shop.
I will retire in Morgan Hill and will not miss Palo Alto at all.

Posted by Sparky, a resident of Barron Park
on Dec 22, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Well, Work In PA, good for you! There's a place for everybody and hopefully you have found your place. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to live in boonies like Morgan Hill - but that's no problem, different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your lunch in MV as well, thanks for leaving an extra parking space for me in downtown PA!

Posted by Reality Check, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Dec 22, 2007 at 9:06 pm

"In our version of the Town Square Forum, Alamo region residents discuss drawbridges, a woman leading a cow, hippopotamus, pole vaulting and recreational classes taught by Tarzan. We collect chicken salad recipes and laugh loudly at local and regional politics. We have even proposed rickshaws as student transportation to local schools."

Humbug!

Posted by Tim, a resident of Crescent Park
on Dec 22, 2007 at 10:52 pm

Sparky,

My son and daughter-in-law live in Morgan Hill and it is a great town. I enjoy PA , but it is always a nice visit to Morgan Hill/ Gilroy area. Very well thought out planning by the city leaders too. Wish I could say the same for PA.
Check it out, it is not even close to the "boonies" anymore.

Posted by Sparky, a resident of Barron Park
on Dec 23, 2007 at 11:49 am

I'm sure there are those who love it there, Tim - sounds like you and your family among them. I've been there several times with my kids for shopping, biking, soccer, something at Coyote Creek. Not my cup of tea, but if people want to live there, fine with me. Maybe my definition of the boonies is different from yours ;-)

Posted by Mike, a resident of College Terrace
on Dec 24, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Holiday Joke:

What's the difference between Morgan Hill and Palo Alto?

Morgan Hill has low elf esteem.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.