Early movies for stay-at-home parents

Original post made by movie buff, Another Palo Alto neighborhood, on Nov 19, 2007

I'm always scanning the movie listings for films that us moms can go see before the kids get out of school. It's not something I can do frequently, but it sure would be nice if the option were there. Most of the films start JUST a bit too late to get out before school let's out. I noticed that the Bee Movie airs at 11:30 - perfect time! - but that's a kind of movie I'd rather take my school age kids to, it's not a take-a-much-needed-break kind of film for parents.

Movies like Becoming Jane, Across the Universe, The Bourne Supremacy, Beowulf - I won't realistically be able to see them in theatres because evenings out are so few and far between. I'd more likely have a chance to go once in awhile if there were a local option to see movies before school let out, on a lunch outing with other moms.

Every once in awhile there are shows that start early enough, and they are almost universally the kind of films that wouldn't appeal to moms! (I don't mean the Bee Movie, by the way, I'm glad there's an early showing for parents who want to take their young kids early during the week when it's not too crowded.)

Posted by JSD
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 19, 2007 at 7:55 pm

I'm with you, movie buff!

Posted by Stay at home Mom
on Nov 19, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Great idea. It would have to be advertised specially, or I may not see it. Marketing to Moms is a great idea. I also would like to get to to the library during the morning when my kids (and others)are at school, but they don't do that more than once a week and then I think they have school parties in.

Posted by SF_Mom
on Nov 20, 2007 at 7:57 pm

There's always DvD. Yes, I would love that too.

Posted by movie buff
on Nov 21, 2007 at 1:09 am

I tried contacting the theatre and didn't really get to talk to someone.

I get the impression that they think this would be expensive - even though most shows would have to start only ten to thirty minutes earlier to get out before school does.

Posted by one who knows
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:54 am

From my limited knowledge of knowing someone who works in a movie theater, most of the staff are high school/college students and it is a matter of getting enough staff to open before these students are available for work. Yes, there most be those who are able to work during the morning hours, but it takes more than just a projectionist and a couple of ticket people to open that early. On top of that, the morning is the time when the theater is cleaned, vacuumed, bathrooms completely re-sanitized, concession stands thoroughly cleaned, etc. and if you have to bring those jobs earlier in the day, the cost of that sky-rockets.

Personally, I think it could be done, however, I would imagine that we might be paying slightly higher for the service and perhaps some of the other frills we come to expect, may be limited.

Posted by movie buff
on Nov 26, 2007 at 10:39 pm

I just noticed that several shows at C 16 are starting before noon -- yay, Beowulf! I hope I'm not the only one there at the early show...