Election time: Boys vs. Girls...?

Original post made by Danny, Crescent Park, on Nov 6, 2007

I think it's interesting that the men (Espinosa, Burt, Yeh) seem to be dominating the council race while the women (Klausner, Baten Caswell, Townsend) dominate the school board race. Are men better civic leaders while women are better educators? Any guesses on why this trend seems apparent in Palo Alto this year?

Posted by Parent of a Gunn student
a resident of Gunn High School
on Nov 7, 2007 at 1:13 am

I don't know if one can legitimately say this actually means anything, with respect to people's views of gender. I and my husband and friends certainly did NOT choose the candidates we voted for based on their gender, but on their platforms and history and such. I would suggest that one should not assume that what is called by one person as a "trend this year" is really even a statistically significant result.

Posted by Juliet
on Nov 7, 2007 at 1:15 am

If you think the men on the city council are good leaders your guess might be worth considering. Actually the women on the current council are much more competent. They don't tend to pontificate and bluster and they usually know what they are talking about. They have diverse views but if you are categorizing men vs women, that's the way it shapes up at present. As for the future we will see.
You may be confusing aggressiveness and self confidence with competence.

Posted by common sense
on Nov 7, 2007 at 7:05 am

For the most part, the leaders were all ones who spent the most time on getting elected - seeking endorsements, going to candidate forums, creating organizations, etc. Gender I don't think had anything to do with it.

I say for the most part, because Ezran & Dykwel I from what I could see put forth as great an effort as those in the lead, but didn't quite make it, whereas Yeh who has a full time job in San Francisco, couldn't do as much when forums where held during working hours.

Mytels is an interesting case of someone who dropped out, but did better than some who campaigning. Her focus was environment, and she was neighborhood active.

Posted by Parent
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:19 am

Personally speaking, I think the BoE greatly needed another man. I think there would be a better balance on the board if there was another man. No criticism of Dana, but his one male voice can sound condescending if he disagrees with his fellow board members, and I don't mean in tone but in the fact that the male brain looks at issues differently from the female and I do feel that in education especially, a mixture of both genders at the top is the best.

Posted by wondering parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:29 am

HAS Dana Tom said/done anything in particular on the BoE? I would like to know more about his stances, core beliefs, goals....

Posted by OhlonePar
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:30 am

I've always found that differences between male and female brains tend to be wayyy over-emphasized. When you look at the research, the differences are small and not necessarily attributable to genetics--i.e. men have better orientation abilities than women in cultures where the women don't roam freely. The brain adapts to experience--much of those "innate" differences are really the result of our different experiences as men and women.

That said, I'd have liked another guy on the board--I think there is a difference in socialization--and we could use a little more of that concrete problem-solving approach we assoicate with men.

But, heck, maybe all those absentee votes are for Wynn Hausser.