VIDEO: Chief details arrest of assault suspect

Original post made on Nov 2, 2007

Palo Alto Police Chief Lynne Johnson talked about the arrest of Todd David Burpee for the Oct. 30 kidnapping and sexual assault of a Gunn High School student. Johnson attributed the arrest to solid, round-the-clock "old-fashioned" police work.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 2, 2007, 2:37 PM

Posted by Jason
on Nov 2, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Great Job PAPD!

Posted by Rebecca Labosky
a resident of Gunn High School
on Nov 2, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Thank you Palo Alto Police Department. An amazing job. I'm a neighbor and I feel well protected by a police force that has done such an incredibly fine job apprehending this dangerous indivual, so quickly.

Posted by a mom
a resident of Meadow Park
on Nov 2, 2007 at 6:47 pm

Palo Alto Police ROCK!!! You guys are the greatest!

Posted by A citizen
on Nov 2, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Great excellent job! PAPD!! We are pround of you guys!

Posted by Parent of a Gunn student
a resident of Gunn High School
on Nov 2, 2007 at 8:46 pm

As a parent with a daughter at Gunn (as well as a middle-schooler), I am very greatful to the PAPD for apprehending the alleged perpetrator so fast.

Posted by Adam
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Nov 3, 2007 at 8:38 am

And as usual the cries of racism and profiling are thrown about without proof. For those who use that tired argument, remember that he will be adjudged innocent until proved guilty - he will have his day in court.

Posted by janette
a resident of College Terrace
on Nov 3, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Super job! I hope this brings some relief to the victim and her family.

Posted by c
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Nov 3, 2007 at 5:53 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by proud
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Nov 3, 2007 at 5:54 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by black male
a resident of Menlo Park
on Nov 3, 2007 at 11:09 pm

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]
do u even realize what this 17 yr. old girl just whent through? and how this event is going to effect her and family every day for the rest of their lives.

Posted by 38 year palo alto resident
on Nov 4, 2007 at 1:27 am

Thank you PA Police Department for doing your job when it is most important. I'm pretty uncomfortable by what almost looks like a celebration by the force for doing their job, but I suppose it is warranted all things considered. I was shocked, angered and sickened to hear of this crime and so sympathetic to the victim. One has to wonder about the such a hateful brutal person as this perpetrator and what this person will do in the rest his life unless he is locked up and seriously monitored. I wonder if I am alone in mentioning a rise is rudeness and aggressiveness in our society and young people as being contributory to this kind of ugliness. I'm very glad this person was caught for all to see.

Posted by Sad
on Nov 4, 2007 at 1:51 am

"I wonder if I am alone in mentioning a rise is rudeness and aggressiveness in our society"
No, you're not alone. But I'm surprised by how much of that behavior is on display right here in this Town Square.

Posted by 38 year palo alto resident
on Nov 4, 2007 at 2:07 am

> I'm surprised by how much of that behavior is on
> display right here in this Town Square.

Check out the other page's comments, they are talking about physical castration! ... go figure. Yesterday coming home I saw a blue compact car with young people in it on Alma blaring loud music all the way through town, weaving, and passing cars in traffic getting nowhere, driving with their car door open, and finally throwing trash out the windows for about 3 blocks. I am tired of this kind of thing happening, and I think it leads to this kind of story. There is too much permissiveness and an ignore it, it will go away attitude ... it doesn't go away.