Reckless Drivers in PA and License Plate ID's

Original post made by Midtown Man, Midtown, on Aug 19, 2007

Once again, I encountered a reckless driver ((8/18 6:15 p.m.
Page Mill eastbound off 280, a silver BMW convertible with two
men giving the finger as they weaved in and out of lanes at over
80 mph). Cellular 911 used to take CHP reports of reckless drivers, but now they want only emergencies. So you call CHP and you're on hold
over 10 minutes with repeating "waits" until you give up. I have
the plate number, but the CHP web site doesn't seem to have a way
to log a citizen report. I Googled the plate but reverse lookup
services want $39.95 to enroll! You would think someone in law enforcement would be happy to have a citizen ID of a reckless driver. Maybe someone could be saved from being the object of a crackup.
Anyone want this creep's license plate number???

Posted by Family
on Aug 19, 2007 at 9:07 pm

I am reminded by this of an incident that happened last Sunday evening and haven't been able to forget. I wonder if there is more info about this out there.

At about midnight or shortly thereafter, my family was driving down from Windy Hill having been looking for shooting stars. We turned into the winding roads coming down to 280 and were followed by a seemingly impatient driver right on our tail. We decided that this must have been a local resident who knew the roads better than us and we were being too cautious for him. Accordingly we pulled to the side to let him pass and then followed at a slower pace. Within a couple of bends, we found him up the cliff on the wrong side of the road. His air bag had been deflated and we could see smoke. We stopped, being the first vehicle on the scene. The driver was alone in the car and he was struggling to get out the passenger window.

Rather than being the experienced driver we expected, it was instead an 18 year old driving home from his girlfriend's home. The car was totalled and the young man's cell phone was getting patchy service. We were able to get through to the girlfriend's family, but had trouble getting the police. We were not witnesses to the accident, but stayed until the girlfriend's family arrived to give him the support the situation warranted. As it was now well past midnight and we had young children in our car, we felt it was time for us to move on.

The car was a 4 year old Mustang.

If anyone has any information as to the driver's well being and the consequences of his accident, I would be interested as I have not been able to get the incident out of my mind.

Thank you.

Posted by Logical
on Aug 19, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Midtown Man, Can I make a suggestion? It's always worked for me. Perhaps a sad statement on law enforcement and political correctness, but if you called in that reckless driver as a possible drunk driver, you probably would have gotten immediate results.

Granted I haven't done that with the CHP, but I have in many Bay Area jurisdictions. When you do, you'll get the satisfaction of seeing them do the roadside sobriety test up the road, as you pass by.

Posted by Palo Parent
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Aug 19, 2007 at 9:28 pm

There is a saying: What's the difference between a cactus and a BMW?

Answer: The BMW's have the pricks on the inside. (rimshot!)

Posted by joyce
on Aug 21, 2007 at 10:23 am

Calling 911 from a cell phone is an exercise in futility in my experience. I did this when I was being followed and threatened by a driver (I apparently did something to aggravate him, God knows what). I gave up after waiting ten minutes for 911, and then tried to get the Palo Alto police direct number from 411 and had to argue with the 411 operator to put me thru NOW instead of going into her speel about connecting, etc. Then when I finally got someone at the police department, they couldn't have cared less.

Posted by paloaltosucks
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Aug 21, 2007 at 1:54 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff].

Posted by paloaltosucks
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:59 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff].

Posted by Patricia
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 25, 2007 at 11:21 pm

Wow - are these stories true ?? I've never had occation to call 911, but I've had a great many near misses with recklass drivers in palo alto lately, and seen a whole lot more serious speeding (on middlefield in particular) How many police folks does palo alto have anyway ? Beween the crime and the traffic do we need more ?