Boyarsky out as North County supervising DA

Original post made on Jun 1, 2007

Jay Boyarsky, the supervising deputy district attorney for northern Santa Clara County for the past 5.5 years, is being reassigned to an undetermined job under a rotation move by new District Attorney Dolores Carr.

Read the full story here Web Link

Posted by Sanford Forte
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Jun 1, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Jay will be sorely missed. Not only has he been one of the more outstanding examples of public service prodessionalism in the DA's office, he has contributed mightily to the local community as a volunteer commissioner for Palo Alto's Public Safety Blue Ribbon commission.

In all, Jay has been a passionate advocate for fairness and equality in the administration of justice; it's gratifying that he will remain in the region.

Posted by Marvin
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jun 1, 2007 at 3:14 pm

However, Mr Boyarsky clearly feels that as a district attorney, certain laws do not apply to him:

Web Link

Posted by Jay Vs Greg
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jun 1, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Hey, I can see your point, but I'd prefer to have him in my 'hood than the sheriff who can't tell a brothel from a legit massage therapy business.

Posted by Kirk
on Jun 1, 2007 at 6:43 pm

Can we finally get rid of the leash codes so that our city officials are not caught up in a violation of the law? That kid who was attacked by an off-leash dog a few months ago at a Palo Alto school was just in the wrong hood at the wrong time. Too bad.

Posted by wayne martin
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jun 1, 2007 at 7:24 pm

DA Carr is doing exectly the right thing. Staff rotation at/about five years will keep any organization from becoming lithified, such as the City of Palo Alto government. Many of the PA Directors and key personnel have been in their jobs for far too long. What is interesting is that Boyarsky wasn't reasigned at this time.

Posted by Dan O
on Jun 2, 2007 at 11:27 am

Boyarsky was really in touch with the community in Palo Alto/Los Altos/ Mountain View/etc. I hope his replacement maintains the close working relationship Boyarsky had with the local police departments. I'm not sure why he needs to be moved though. Change for change's sake often ends up being a step backward while the new guy figures out the lay of the land. I sure hope there is a more important assignment they needed Boyarsky to fill - if not then the people of north county may have gotten ripped off.

As for the leash thing - if that's the worst anyone can say about him then the residents in north county should count themselves lucky.

Posted by Mary Ann Parker
a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 11, 2007 at 12:15 pm

I am the mother of John Peckham, the cyclist (and my only child) who was killed by the driver under the influence of methamphetamine in September of last year. Mr. Boyarsky was the D.A. on the case. (Although I live in St. Louis I selected my neighborhood as "Mountain View" because that's where John lived and worked although he was killed in Palo Alto.)

During the six months of communication about the case with Mr. Boyarsky I felt I was always treated with respect and compassion. He was both friendly and warm while remaining completely professional. Many times I cried uncontrollably in our phone conversations and Mr. Boyarsky was always patient and deeply understanding. He answered every one of my questions and all my e-mails. I am lucky to have had him as the prosecuter for my dead son' killer. I thank him for his professionalism and the fact that we came to sentencing within 6 months of the crime.

I know he also worked closely with the Alto/Velo Cycling/Racing club of which my son was a member. There is no real justice for a crime like this but he came as close to the maximum as one can get. For that and his compassion and his kindnesss I thank him.

I wish him the best in his new position.
Mary Ann Parker