Cyclist hit by car at Sand Hill Rd. on Mon. May 28th

Original post made by Ryan, Stanford, on May 31, 2007

Due to the increasing number of incidents in Palo Alto, specifically on Sand Hill Road of car vs. cyclist, I thought I would report the following and see if anyone has any additional information. At noon on Memorial Day, I cycled down Portola Valley Road, heading towards Sand Hill Road. I came across numerous emergency vehicles and personnel attending to a downed bicyclist who had been struck by an SUV. It appeared to be an extremely serious accident. Does anyone have any additional information regarding this incident? Nothing has been reported in the local paper or the San Jose Mercury.

Posted by lm
a resident of Portola Valley
on May 31, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Another cyclist was hit but not killed. A link to an Alamance News story:
Web Link
It sounds like the driver made a left turned in front of the bicycle.

Posted by Ryan
a resident of Stanford
on May 31, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Glad to hear that her injuries are not life threatening. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on May 31, 2007 at 5:15 pm

There needs to be a separate route for bikes up the hill.

Posted by Daniel
a resident of Community Center
on May 31, 2007 at 5:30 pm

I ride several times a week on the Sand Hill section on which this accident took place, as well as the fatal incident on Friday. I was actually passed by the cyclist who ended up getting killed just a few minutes later while cycling on Portola Rd. before it becomes Sand Hill Rd. WQhat I have experienced each time I cycle that road is that practically all drivers drive at a pretty high speed and that many vehicles hog the bike lane at the more curvy sections of the road. I'm not sure what happened exactly on Friday, but my bet would be that the hitting Volvo crossed the white line to its right and entered the bike lane, hitting the cyclist and killing him.

Posted by Anonymous
on May 31, 2007 at 6:03 pm

I know of a serious cyclist accident in Palo Alto near where I live and the were many police cars,paramedic, fire engine, etc and it was never reported in any paper and a call to the paper said the police do not have to report accidents and they are kept secret. Looks better for the city I guess if there are never any accidents on roads where drivers always speed. This was on a residential street with 25 mile/hr speed limit. But cars go 40 to 50 all the time

Posted by anon
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jun 2, 2007 at 6:25 am

why don't you say where it was?
seems like you are trying to keep things
secrefied too bro. where? what? who?
maybe somebody else knows more than U.

Posted by stacy
on Jun 4, 2007 at 2:41 pm

She was riding west on Sand Hill going 25-30 mph when a Chevy Tahoe turned in front of her at Portero Rd. She t-boned the Tahoe, flew over it and landed 20 feet on the other side. She is currently in the Stanford hospital ICU in critical but stable condition. The good The currect news is that she's alive (she could easily have been killed), doesn't appear to have any brain damage and doesn't appear to have any paralysis or spinal cord damage. She does have multiple facial fractures, two punctured lungs, broken ribs and two broken arms. The doctors are cautiously optimistic that she will recover completely, but also caution that she can still die from her injuries.

Posted by Ryan
a resident of Stanford
on Jun 5, 2007 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the update Stacy. When I came home that afternoon, I was sick to my stomach with worry. Glad to hear that no brain/spine injuries exist!