Off-Site Math Class Not Allowed on Paly Transcript!

Original post made by Very Concerned Parent, Palo Alto High School, on Apr 14, 2007

Has anyone else in the Paly community had trouble or been successful at having an AB Calc class taken at Foothill College, Stanford or The School for Independent Learners placed on the Paly transcript?

Posted by Mom of 2
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 14, 2007 at 11:35 pm

My understanding is that you have to get it cleared in advance.

Posted by Transcript
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 15, 2007 at 7:30 pm

So if one student gets it placed in their transcript, what should be the problem for the next student to do the same, even if it was not cleared in advanced if the program is the same.

Posted by Former Paly Student
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 15, 2007 at 8:40 pm

For instance, Lupe Garcia, former Spanish teacher @ Paly & current principal at an Elementary School in PAUSD, helped sign up his entire "3 Honors" Spanish class for credit at Foothill College. We took all of our classes at Paly and just filled out some forms along teh way. I was very appreciative, as these credits allowed me to waiver out of the foreign language requirement @ college.

These classes DID show up on our transcript.

Posted by SkepticAl
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 15, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Let's see here... What is the purpose of a school transcript? To provide a record of all courses taken at that school, or outside courses taken by arrangement through the school, usually to satisfy requirements. So yes, the course might be the same but different people have different circumstances. You can still get a transcript from whatever school offered the class if you need to provide the evidence to someone.

Posted by Very Concerned Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 16, 2007 at 8:39 am

I did send an email to the math I.S. at Paly and was told that no AP course could be taken off campus and given high school credit. I don't believe that this is the case in all circumstances. Also, I don't understand why such a "rule" would even exist. What's the purpose?

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 16, 2007 at 9:06 am

Well, we are gathering that they generally want your kid to take all his/her classes at Paly (or other PAUSD school).

Posted by Theresa
on Apr 16, 2007 at 11:58 am

My understanding is that if the class is offered at Paly that it's not going to be easy to get credit on your transcript. Best bet is to sit down with one of the counselors at Paly and come to an understanding. In any event, credit has to be worked out prior to enrolling in the course.

The kids I know who got off-campus credit were taking classes at Foothill or Stanford that are not offered at Paly, such as 2nd year math classes (beyond BC Calc). Also my daughter has received Foothill credit for theater, thanks to participating in a bunch of Peninsula Youth Theater productions. We had to take a form to the principal and get it signed before she could be enrolled.

Posted by Also...
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 16, 2007 at 7:16 pm

You might want to talk to Mrs. Slack, the former Paly I.S. She's now at Jordan Middle School. I believe her e-mail is the same. She knows everything and is a great resource.

Posted by anonymous
a resident of JLS Middle School
on Apr 16, 2007 at 9:49 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Also...
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 16, 2007 at 10:32 pm

The Mrs. Slack I know would be glad to help out.

This is a teacher that took on the challenge of I.S. @ Jordan when she could have stayed the course at Paly. This is a teacher that gives up her mornings to teach an extra math class. This is a teacher that attends multiple schools functions to show her students support in their activies.

She's a great resource and a kind person. I've always found her helpful when I've approached her with questions outside of her job duties. Not all teachers practice the "i'll work to the hours of my contact and only to my job description" routine.

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 17, 2007 at 9:44 am

I agree Ms. Slack is an outstanding teacher, I hope she moves up the chain of command in PAUSD. We need people like her!

Posted by anonymous
a resident of JLS Middle School
on Apr 17, 2007 at 11:02 am

Wow - sensitive editors? In my posting above that was removed, all I suggested was that no one here should presume to offer up Ms. Slack's services to get involved in a dispute at another school. If I did that too sarcastically, I humbly beg forgiveness.