Al Gore's Use of Electricity

Original post made by Silver Bullet, Midtown, on Feb 26, 2007

I just read this story - curious to see if old Al will have a response. Its funny how the "Warmies" accuse every scientist who casts any skepticism on the alarmism as just a front for industry, but I haven't heard anyone accuse Gore of being just a front for the dems.

This story contains 368 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by RS
on Feb 26, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Not that I am going to defend Al, but the "Tennessee Center for Policy Research" is about as nonpartisan as is. ;^)

Posted by joyce
on Feb 27, 2007 at 6:48 am

Both the Gores have offices and staff using the house.

ABC calls the Tennessee Center for Policy Research "an obscure conservative think tank founded by Johnson in 2004 when he was 24." Hardly "independent" and "nonpartisan." Who calls the Tennessee Center for Policy Research independent and nonpartisan? Why, it does, in its press release:-)

This is more neocon stuff, trying to attack the messenger when they can't win on policy.

Posted by GoreBore
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:23 am

I still think the press release is illuminating. Gore has responded, and we can all move on in life. Al Gore can use as much electricity as he wants, as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think this rediculous to point the spotlight on his consumption and at least see if he does indeed "walk the walk."

By branding the Tennessee center "neocons" which I assume you mean in the pejorative sense, aren't you in fact attacking the messengers? Its ok if you want to do that, I just thought I'd point that out. People are are always attacking the messengers - I mean, how often is Bush called an "idiot" "retard" and "war criminal" by people who disagree with the policies?

Posted by reader
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:39 am

Not only that, here is G. Bush being called out as a hypocrite BECAUSE he built an eco-friendly house:

Posted by Dave
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:40 am

GoreBore is quite right. (Even though he may be a neocon, that doesn't automatically make him wrong. There are a lot of unthinking ideological robots on both sides.)

Al Gore may be right on Climate Change and right about the fact that it is the biggest moral and existential crisis facing humankind. (If it makes a difference, I think he is absolutely correct.) But Al Gore is also a big fat hypocrite. He's asking every day Americans to make sacrifices that he isn't willing to make himself. He uses more energy in his mansion, on his Globe encircling jetting, and his various limos in a year than the average American (not to mention the average African) uses in a lifetime. And he has the gall to lecture us on reducing energy usage.

The same might be said of DiCaprio and all of the other celebrity know-nothings. The live in large air-conditioned mansions and jet back and forth to Europe on private jets...and then strike a big moral pose because they dive a Prius.

The climate change movement needs better spokespersons lest it turn into a sad joke.

Posted by RS
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Well being skeptical of a group that has an obvious political agenda just makes sense. I wanted some real news organizations to pick it up because I figured they would do what the Tennessee Center for Policy Research did not. Ask Al for a response. I must admit Al's response was pretty disapointing and lame.

Posted by Curious Observer
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 27, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Earlier I had questioned the amount of travel that Gore does to spread his message about about global warming (see February 3 posting in Issues Beyond Palo Alto). Throwing money at the problem doesn't sit well with me. Lead by example Mr Gore...start showing us the types of sacrifices we need to make to save our planet.

Posted by Fact Check
on Feb 28, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I agree with Curious Observer and I don't favor Gore's approach..."Do as I say, not as I do".

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Mar 1, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Bill Gates has a large house. Borrowing from the inventor of the internet, Occupants carry devices that turn on lights and heat when they enter a room, then turn them off when they leave.