Midtown Gas Station - Eyesore

Original post made by Carol, Palo Verde, on Jan 25, 2007

What is going to happen to the site of the old gas station on Middlefield? Personally, I would like to see it as a gas station as so many times I have to go out of my daily route to get gas. However, if that isn't going to happen, what will happen to it? It is an ugly eyesore that should not be allowed to remain. Even Alma Plaza and Edgewood Plaza are not as ugly as that fenced off neglected site. This is Palo Alto, not a neglected inner city crime infected area. We complain about the crime we do have, maybe smartening up all these neglected areas would actually help as the criminals, drug dealers, etc. would not be able to congregate at neglected sites and find other places to go.

I would like to see a gas station, but I would be happy to see anything useful.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jan 25, 2007 at 10:01 am

They used to have a pretty sharp mechanic, too. I miss them.

Posted by k
on Jan 25, 2007 at 11:25 am

I really liked that conveniently-located, reasonably-priced gas station. I thought the parent company forced the closure for some reason, competitive reasons? - just from memory, I thought the operator wanted to stay open? I'm sure the local papers covered the closure at the time. I agree that if it can be a gas station again that would be great (reasonable prices, please!), otherwise *something* should be done with this highly visible place...

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:32 am

Hey, city guy, anything Palo Alto can do to put this asset back on line?

Posted by Tim
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:21 pm

No more homes! We need more retail in this city. Look around us- the surounding cities are building up their tax base and we keep building homes to add to that tax base.

Posted by Carol
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Tim

I agree with you completly. Fortunately, I think that because the site was a gas station, it can't be turned into housing (or a park), but I may be wrong.

Posted by Steven
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I also agree with Tim. Look at the old Hyatt site and now the Elk's site. Both are set for more housing. We need more retail like Mt View's new Best Buy, Bed & Bath shopping center.

Posted by John
on Jan 31, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Probably not up to the city to do anything about it. Very likely, the property is tied up in some civil action, like a bankruptcy. Can't do anything until such matters are taken care of.