Town and Country parking lot re -design

Original post made by CoJo, Downtown North, on Jan 9, 2007

The recent re-design of the Palo Alto Town and Country
Shopping Center seems an accident waiting to happen.
Has anyone else been experiencing the near miss parking lot accidents I have. The designer of that parking lot should be fired.
What's your comment?

Posted by Paly Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 9, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Didn't realise that there was a new design, but the old design was certainly awful, particularly with the main entrance to Paly right opposite and the fact that learning drivers use that as part of the learning experience.

Posted by Tim
on Jan 9, 2007 at 7:46 pm

Nothing weong with the design. There is even places around the center to eat outside now. Maybe you need to learn how to drive in a parking lot.

Posted by positron
a resident of Gunn High School
on Jan 9, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Geez, Tim, that seems unnecessarily rude.

I really don't like the new design because the parking places are TINY compared to the old ones. Landscaping is nice, but I hate trying to squeeze my Camry into spots that would make a Mini scrunch up! While the driving right now is challenging there, I think once the construction fences are removed the entrances and exits will get easier to navigate. At least, I hope so!

Posted by Tim
on Jan 10, 2007 at 7:00 am

Geez positron, I'm rude and the Paly Parent said that "the designer should be fired"!? Give me a break.

Posted by Mary
on Jan 10, 2007 at 7:20 am

I find the new traffic pattern between Peet's and the tanning salon very difficult, especially trying to make a right turn at that interior corner. to get back to El Camino. What I do not like are the raised curbings around the parking areas which make it difficult to get out of a car, especially in the narrow parking spots and especially for seniors with walkers or canes. The ARB (Architectual Review Board) loves these curbs and were instrumental in getting them all over the place at Safeway-Midtown - not an easy place to park. To me, the traffic pattern is not smoothe, the parking slots too narrow, etc. But as all of my favorite stores are now disappearing except Douce France, I seldom go there

Posted by Paly Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 10, 2007 at 9:59 am

Tim

You may be rude in your postings. You are also inaccurate. It was not me who said that the designer should be fired. And, my point, is that yes there are many drivers learning to drive in this area and quite often the first few lessons of a new driver do take place in a parking lot. So, please, let's be considerate here.

Posted by Samantha
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:10 am

I think that the T&C parking lot is very dangerous for drivers and pedestrians. I feel like people turn into that lot and forget the rules of the road and drive way to fast. I have nearly been hit multiple times by drivers at that center. I was crossing in the designated cross walk. I have an incident every time I go there and it does not matter if I am driving or if my husband is driving and we are both good drivers.

Posted by Barbie
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 28, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Well folks its even gotten worse. I await the completion of this parking lot. Each week I see more near misses. Not driving but the way they have laid this out the cars now have little space to back out of their spaces and I see cars nearly hitting each other. Nothing was taken into consideration of all of the large SUV vehicles. Tim I hope you enjoy eating outside around the parking lot. Not my cup of tea. But enjoy.

Posted by Student
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 2, 2007 at 2:47 pm

What new stores are going to be opening?

Posted by Jane
on Feb 2, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Student -- Trader Joe's, for one.

Posted by Tim
on Feb 3, 2007 at 10:03 am

Those who hate the new parking lot- please don't shop there. More "room" for me to shop and eat outside. Thank you!

Posted by Yes it's true
a resident of Professorville
on Oct 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm

The parking lot design is a travesty.