What Do You Think Of Stanford Mall?

Original post made by Periwinkle, Downtown North, on Sep 18, 2006

I think it's gone far too upscale, and largely impractical for most locals. It's OK for an occasional visit, for an impulse buy - but what else?

The Mall is really designed to draw from OUTSIDE out community - kind of like LA's "Rodeo Drive" )with lots less ambiance than Rodeo Dr.). There isn't any place left to take the kids for relatively inexpensive eats, outside of a few cafes. Most of the shops are one-dimensional, charging 5 times more for trendy clothing and accessories based on "name brand" baloney.

It does generate sales taxes for our city, but is it USEFUL, otherwise?

Posted by Carol
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 18, 2006 at 4:29 pm

As a local shopping centre, it is not useful to me at all. I do go occasionally, perfume to take abroad, foreign exchange and wiring money abroad. My sons insist on going to the Giants Dugout, but mainly to window shop as they can't afford the clothes. I did like going to Fresh Choice and some of the toy shops, but they have also gone. The last couple of times I have been there, I got there early and was unable to get in until 10.00 so that is also no good for me when I am in a hurry to do several errands before anywhere else gets busy.

Posted by trudy
on Sep 19, 2006 at 7:07 am

Smith & Hawkens, Books, Inc., and See's make a nice short diversion, when I want to splurge, otherwise it is useless.

Posted by bret
on Sep 19, 2006 at 8:11 am

the whole palo alto/menlo park area is too upscale for 99.999% of the world's population.

Posted by r
on Sep 19, 2006 at 12:00 pm

I think the place is great! Wonderful ambience and a pleasure to shop. I go there all the time - it's much better than other Malls on the peninsular.

Posted by resident
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Sep 19, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Its meant for occassion shopping - going there with the intention of buying clothes for day care / elementary school kids does not work. It is what it is ... it was designed for a different economic strata, I guess.

I go there to eat icecream with my kids and drop pennies in the fountain in front of Shreve - never to shop, its too expensive for me

Posted by Richard
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 20, 2006 at 10:23 am

I think it's pretty unanimous, too expensive for locals, ideal for foreign visitors ready to spend some money. We like to go to sit and drink a cup of coffee and watch the shi-shi people go by.

Posted by An Involuntary Palo Altan
on Sep 20, 2006 at 2:35 pm

Richard, what are "shi-shi" people? Is it a derogatory slang term that long time residents of Palo Alto use to refer to those fools who work hard enough to recently purchase a home in this area?

Posted by Craig
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:55 pm

I think Stanford has a nice atmosphere. I like the fact that its outdoors, and some stores are pretty useful. For example Macy's, Nordstrom, Crate&Barrell, and another location of The Creamery. I love the Giants dugout store too.

I do find it annoying that Nordstrom and Crate aren't connected to the bulk of the mall.

However, for many everyday shopping needs, especially for kids, I have to go down to Valley Faire or up to Hillsdale. That includes things like the Lego store, the Hello Kitty/Sanrio store, Disney store, etc.

I think the dining is pretty marginal at Stanford. I like Max's, but I wish there were a few more options.

Because of the high-end aspect of the stores, I think the crowd trends older and more "upscale," which isn't really a bad thing, in my opinion.

And Involuntary, I too am a recent purchaser here, and I'm not shi-shi in the slightest! I like my beer cheap, my steaks rare and my metaphors hyperbolical.

Posted by Stan
on Sep 20, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Palo Alto is one of the finest communities on earth. It is only natural that our shopping choices consist of the finest establishments. Go over to stinky south Palo Alto's Wal Mart if you're not good enough for Stanford.

Posted by chris
a resident of University South
on Sep 20, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Wal-Mart is in Mountain View.

Stanford is one of the few shopping areas that Palo Alto is encouraging. Palo Alto is making it difficult for auto dealers, big box stores, and hotels.

The tax revenue has to come from somewhere, so if you don't shop there, don't complain, push for Palo Alto to get a big box store.

Posted by Carol Gilbert
on Nov 11, 2006 at 11:39 am

The center may carry many items too expensive for the average shopper, but obviously enough people go and buy there to help fill the Palo Alto tax coffers. I have gone there since it first opened with I. Magnin's, Livingston's, Byron's, and Roos-Atkins. It is the most beautifully landscaped shopping center I have ever seen and worth a visit throughout the year just for that alone.

In the same vein, I hope that Town & Country returns with a new look and some options not supported at Stanford. For more utilitarian purchases like kids clothes, San Antonio is the place to go.

I think it's nice to have a variety of options.