1) Landscape locally — using sustainable practices;
2) Landscape for less to the landfill — compost and mulch, and choose non-invasive plants;
3) Nurture the soil — help the soil food web to thrive;
4) Conserve water — use storm water, gray water, recycled water; choose drought-resistant plants;
5) Conserve energy — reduce need for mowing, use efficient outdoor lighting;
6) Protect water and air quality — maximize permeable surfaces, minimize pesticide use, plant trees; and
7) Create wildlife habitat — provide food, water and shelter for birds and beneficial insects.