|
Uploaded: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 1
PM
Hospital talks to resume Friday
Seven days after Stanford and Lucile Packard Children's hospital nurses
walked off the job, a federal mediator has called the two sides back to
the negotiating table.
A session has been set for Friday, Stanford Hospital
spokeswoman Melodie Jackson said today. In addition, the two
sides have been called to an "exploratory, non-negotiating session" on
Thursday, before talks formally begin again, said union spokeswoman Kim
Griffin. "We're certainly interested in going back to the table
and working this out," Jackson said. The 1,730 nurses at the
two hospitals are striking over pay and other issues. The union,
Committee for Recognition of Nursing Recognition, is asking for 21.5 percent
in pay raises over two years, while the hospitals have offered 8 percent
over two years. There are also health benefit and staffing issues. The
nurses walked off the job June 7. The two hospitals prepared
for the strike by hiring up to 500 replacement nurses to staff the two
hospitals. But staffing problems caused Packard Hospital to
transfer some patients, and Stanford Hospital redirected ambulances to
other hospitals for a day last week. In addition, CRONA nurses staffed
the neonatal and pediatric intensive care units at Packard Hospital for
the first day of the strike, at the hospital's request. Both
hospitals have deferred elective surgeries and elective admissions because
of the strike, although the inpatient census at Stanford Hospital is close
to normal.
--Don Kazak
|