|An early morning one-alarm fire displaced five people today when a blaze ignited in the garage and extended into their home.
The flames were first reported at 6:57 a.m. and firefighters responded to 1271 Carlton Ave., Menlo Park Fire Protection District Chief Harold Schapelhoumen said. Five fire engines and a ladder truck arrived at the home and had the flames under control by 7:10 a.m.
"It appears that the fire started in the dryer, either from lint build up or an electrical malfunction," Schapelhoumen said.
All of the home's electrical outlets are located in the garage, so the home is untenable, Schapelhoumen said. There is also smoke damage to the house.
The American Red Cross has found temporary housing for the residents until their home can be repaired.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in structural damage and $20,000 worth of damage to the home's contents, Schapelhoumen said.
— Bay City News Service
Are you receiving Express, our free daily e-mail edition? See a sample and sign-up for Express.