Sign up for Express
New from Palo Alto Online, Express is a daily e-edition, distributed by e-mail every weekday.
Sign up to receive Express!

Login | Register
Sign up for eBulletins
Click for Palo Alto, California Forecast
Palo Alto Online News
Increase font Increase font
Decrease font Decrease font
Adjust text size

Driver to go to trial for fatal Mountain View crash
Judge rules there is sufficient evidence to try driver in June collision that killed William Ware

Bookmark and Share
Matthew Pumar, the driver accused of hitting and killing Mountain View resident William Ware last June, will stand trial on the charge of felony vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, a judge ruled Thursday, Jan. 3, at the conclusion of the case's preliminary hearing.

After hearing multiple witnesses called by Deputy District Attorney Duffy Magilligan, Judge Thang Nguyen Barrett ruled that sufficient evidence had been presented to warrant a jury trial.

During the hearing's closing arguments, Pumar's defense lawyer, Dennis Smith, argued that the 22-year-old Mountain View resident had not been negligent in the June 21 crash, in which he allegedly ran a red light at the intersection of California Street and Escuela Avenue. Smith pointed to evidence presented earlier in the day by a traffic accident expert who had estimated that Pumar was traveling about 46 mph when he struck Ware.

Magilligan argued, however, that before Ware was struck, Pumar had already driven up over a curb, had two wheels ripped from his vehicle, and plowed through a traffic sign post -- suggesting that his vehicle would necessarily have slowed significantly before hitting Ware. The posted speed limit at the intersection is 35 mph.

Several of Ware's family members attending the hearing seemed emotionally drained after the judge's ruling. But Ware's brother, Jim, said he was pleased to see that the case would go to trial. "It was relieving to hear that the judge saw the charges the way the DA did," he said.

Pumar and his family had no comment for the media. They also appeared emotionally distraught. At the conclusion of an earlier session of the hearing, Smith told the Voice that the "whole (Pumar) family has expressed to me the greatest sympathy for Mr. Ware. It's been a tragedy for everybody."

Ware was a well-known Mountain View resident who was waiting for a bus in the 1800 block of California Street when he was killed.

Pumar remained on the scene and cooperated with police and investigators. He was arrested on July 10 after the investigation was completed. He immediately posted $100,000 bail and was released.

The court will take up the case again on Jan. 14 at 1:30 p.m. in Department 84 at the Palo Alto Courthouse.

Read an earlier story about the preliminary hearing's first session here.

Are you receiving Express, our free daily e-mail edition? See a sample and sign-up for Express.


Comments

Posted by Jimmy, a resident of the College Terrace neighborhood, on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

This is such a sad story. My condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Ware. I hope many people learn a lesson from this terrible incident.


If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.
Add a Comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration! Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff
 
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *
Select your Neighborhood or School Community: * Not sure?
Comment: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box. *
Verification Code:   


Best Website
First Place
2009-2011

 

Palo Alto Online   © 2013 Palo Alto Online
All rights reserved.