Small earthquake hits Peninsula

USGS reports 2.9 magnitude with epicenter in Ladera

A magnitude 2.9 earthquake hit Ladera along the San Andreas Fault Wednesday evening around 8:24 p.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The shallow earthquake hit about 2.6 miles deep, according to USGS. It struck 2 miles southwest of Stanford, 3 miles south southwest of Menlo Park and 4 miles southwest of Palo Alto.

There have been no reported injuries or damage. Palo Alto police said Wednesday around 10 p.m. that they had not received any calls about the earthquake.

View the USGS page on the earthquake here.

A small 3.0-magnitude earthquake was also reported in American Canyon, about seven miles south of Napa, early Thursday at 3:56 a.m. This follows the 6.0 earthquake that rocked the area on Sunday, Aug. 24.

Comments

Posted by Resident
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:21 am

My family who were at home at the time, didn't feel this although it seems others did as Facebook news feed contained many comments.

I know this was a small, shallow quake, but it is the first I can remember with an epicenter so close to Palo Alto. Is this part of the San Andreas fault starting to become more active I wonder?

Posted by Anne
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:04 am

Yes, we both felt it in the upstairs of our house. If sounded LOUD more than shaking.

Posted by pares
on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:50 am

Did not notice it at all and surprised to hear it called the Palo Alto quake. But the far away Napa 6.0 quake did wake me up at 3:20am by rocking the bed. Yesterday's must have been very gentle.

No one knows if this will be the only one or if it is a fore shock to the big one, but we live in earthquake country and need to be prepared.

Posted by KP
a resident of South of Midtown
on Sep 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

KP is a registered user.

Didn't feel a thing...But I'm ready if it goes down!
Let's just hope it doesn't!

Posted by smal
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm

many small movements have been detected all week. you wouldnt notice them. mild rolls.

Posted by BoomClap
on Sep 4, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Just heard a loud rumble at my house. Thought somebody dropped some heavy objects upstairs.

Posted by mry
on Sep 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm

The sound was loud but the shaking was mild.

Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of Esther Clark Park
on Sep 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I was at my computer on Mockingbird Lane, off Old Trace Rd. in Palo Alto and the one-second thrust accompanied by a loud sound got me up thinking there might be more to come. It was obvious to me that it was an earthquake. I'm glad that's all it was.

Posted by Betsy
a resident of Menlo Park
on Sep 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I live up on a hill in Menlo Park on the 2nd floor of a building. At 8:24, I was watching a BBC program and concentrating on the story when I felt an up and down jolt and then a bit of side to side motion. It lasted for about 10 seconds and there wasn't any doubt in my mind that it was about a 2.9-3.0 quake. I turned on the radio and there was no mention of a quake. So I thought I must have imagined the whole thing until I read this article which verified my experience.