Speeding driver hits four parked cars

Driver transported to hospital with minor injuries

A man driving at 40 to 50 miles per hour out of the Fry's Electronics parking lot Thursday morning collided with a nearby parked car, causing a domino-effect crash that left four unoccupied cars damaged. The driver has been taken to Stanford Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

The man, driving a red Subaru Forester, sped out of a south driveway from the Fry's parking lot onto Park Boulevard, according to Palo Alto Fire Department Captain Paul Schultz. The Subaru went up a curb through two trees, hitting the front side of a blue Toyota Prius parked in the Vance Brown Builders parking lot at 3197 Park Blvd.

The force of the impact caused a domino effect, with the Prius hitting three other cars in the parking lot: a white Toyota sedan, a white truck and a silver Audi hatchback. No one was inside any of the cars at the time. The Prius absorbed most of the impact with its windshield shattered and front hood completely smashed in.

The red Subaru came to rest on its side against a tree. Fire Department staff braced the underside of the car to keep it from tipping over while they extricated the driver.

Schultz said it is unknown at this time if the driver has any medical issues, but the owner of the blue Prius, who works at Vance Brown Builders and was inside the building at the time of the crash, said police told her that the man has a history of seizures. She also said that after the crash, the driver did not remember what had happened.

Traffic in both directions on the 3200 block of Park Boulevard was temporarily closed to traffic.

Comments

Posted by Yikes
a resident of Gunn High School
on Aug 28, 2014 at 11:49 am

I'm glad nobody else was hurt. 40-50 mph in a parking lot?? What was the big rush? Glad I saw this before making a trip to Fry's today at lunchtime!

Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Perp with a history of seizures should not be allowed to drive. Glad that no one was killed.

The title of this article is very misleading. The title should emphasize that all of the cars, other than the perp's, were parked and unoccupied.

Posted by Wow
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm

It's quite amazing that there aren't more car accidents. With people not taking their medications, sleep deprivation, texting, talking on phones, eating or smoking in cars, putting on makeup in cars, daydreaming, and downright incompetent driving, God is taking care of everyone.

Posted by Anonymous
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Lucky that only one person was hurt. Lots of bike traffic on Park.

Posted by anon
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting something on this. I was in the area and saw police cars and the tape up, etc.

Posted by seizure lass
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm

@resident. Seizures can happen to anyone...anytime...anywhere - it could even happen to you one day. Should we take everyone over the age of 40 off the road because they might have a heart attack? Or perhaps anyone who wears glasses because they might fall of their nose? Or maybe anyone who suffers anger issues because they might just bring on a case of road rage? If people follow their doctors orders and take medications correctly and have controlled seizures they should not be penalized.

Yes, there are people with uncontrolled seizure activity and they are precluded from driving...however there is a vast number of individuals with controlled seizures who are safe to drive (and are often much better drivers because they know to be careful).

So please don't call this individual a "perp" in a derogatory way.

@Wow. I agree with you -- it is amazing that more accidents have not occurred - You have clearly stated numerous issues which I agree with and wish to see enforced. I believe this country it far to lax in the licensing laws and the fines imposed for bad driving...but I thank you for not attacking someone with a medical condition.

Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm

The article says the perp has a "history of seizures". This is not something that anyone may have some day. This is something that this particular person has a known history with.

Posted by Reader
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:36 pm

The last paragraph is all hearsay. If someone had been told by the police officer who then reports it to someone else then it is not official information. I feel it is highly unlikely that the police would say that someone has a history of ____ or that the driver could not remember what happened. If someone overheard a conversation with the driver and the police then it is eavesdropping. This should not be mentioned in the report as anything other than pure speculation.

Please leave out anything that would not stand up in court as factual evidence.

Sad story whatever the reason, and I am pleased nobody was seriously hurt.

Posted by seizure lass
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm

@Reader....good points. How would anyone know that? All the more reason not to attack someone with/without a medical condition. It's a sad story for all involved....driver and all those left without a way home tonight.

Accidents happen...except, obviously for @resident who just has an unfortunate nasty streak.

I too wish them all well and thankful that no pedestrians, cyclists or people in the parking lot were not injured...a true miracle.

Posted by seizure lass
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 28, 2014 at 6:00 pm

error...sorry, meant

I too wish them all well and thankful that no pedestrians, cyclists or people in the parking lot were injured...a true miracle. (double negative above!)

Posted by Bike Commuter
a resident of Ventura
on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Park Blvd. has hundreds of cyclists going by each day.
I bet there are many more bikes than cars.

It is on my way home and I've been cut off by many drivers trying to enter or exit the Fry's parking lot. Very dangerous driveways!

That section of the Bike Boulevard will only get worse when the new Park Plaza garage opens on Park at Page Mill!

Posted by Sleep Deprived?
a resident of Community Center
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I know of someone who was so sleep deprived from working two full time jobs that he fell asleep and was involved in a similar series of accidents as this person was. My acquaintance also had no memory of the events, but a sleep doctor told him that when one is that deprived of sleep, the brain will force "micro sleeps" on the person, and that this is completely uncontrollable.

The judge actually sentenced him to traffic school + eight hours of mandatory sleep per night!

Posted by Awesome
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Awesome. If I were texting, speeding and caused a pile up, I would also tell the police I have a medical history and do not remember what happened. Great strategy.

Posted by Sea-Seelam Reddy
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:45 am

My prayers to all that have been impacted.

40 miles/hour in Fry's parking lot; glad it did not cause more damage.

Posted by Anonymous
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:28 am

I know exactly how the driver of this Subaru Forrester must have felt.

I can remember like yesterday the excitement I felt back in 1997 after buying my copy of Quake2 from Fry's Electronics. I raced out of the parking lot and on the way home ran over three curbs, hit four pedestrians, and side-swiped five cars. Despite all this I made it home and was the first one playing my new video game in North America!

Those were great days, the salad days!