East Palo Alto pastor sued over controversial property sale

Lawsuit filed Monday asks for injunction against sale of properties

Members of an East Palo Alto church who invited a pastor to tend their flock now accuse him of pulling the wool over their eyes. Members of the Born Again Christian Center say Pastor Andre Harris put the church's two properties up for sale without their knowledge or permission and is taking the money for himself.

This story contains 1251 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by Observer
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:43 am

There was a failure to communicate among everyone. The Deacon filing the lawsuit should have been more on top of what was going on, seeing one family was beginning to take over control of the church. He did not. Strike 1.

The Deacon should have been in a leadership role, from the get-go; not alone in his duties, but rather, other deacon/elders should have been in the loop, regularly at the church, regularly meeting so there would be transparency, accountability and a sharing of power that oversees leadership. Strike 2.

If members were "attending church" regularly and recently, and with LEADERSHIP overseeing this, they would KNOW something odd was going on and they would not have waited for this train wreck to go so far. Strike 3.

Observations:
1- St. Paul, in his Pastoral Letters to Timothy and Titus, outlined how a church should be structured. This "Born Again" church did not fit that bill.

2- Being "too trusting" is not an excuse for anyone, either in the secular world or in church life. The old adage applies: "If you snooze, you lose." Another adage is "Silence is consent." Church members snoozed and were quiet for too long.

3- From what I read of this "church", few are "Born Again", and they give Jesus and His church a bad name. They are neither a "church" or born again.
It is disturbing to read "Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ..." or see "The Holy Spirit is moving in this..." yada, yada.

Bottom line:
If I were on a jury on this case, and knowing the pastor was "unpaid", if he were there for many years, my opinion would be, "While this is not the ideal way to go, church rules do not apply to you, and IF they were able to legally get the deed name changed, the pastor, his wife and his family win."

The church members, including the Deacon, need to go home and read their Bibles OR join another church, where they can show up periodically, and only surface when they have a gripe or money is involved, which is what their M.O. appears to be, from having read this news.

This is a hard-nosed comment. But sometimes "stupid" ought not to be rewarded, and Born Again people ought not act stupidly. Let it be a lesson.
Game over.

1 person likes this
Posted by Julio
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:55 am

I do not believe in God anymore. some people like Mr. Harris and his wife take advantage of this positions.

Posted by Observer
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:05 am

Julio - my point was that God had nothing to do with this case, and if you are a church "member", then why didn't you speak up? Why did you not follow the directives we are taught (in Scripture) about how to handle disputes?

If something like this causes you to disbelieve in God, then you never had any faith in God, or in anything, to lose. Before you point fingers at anyone else, ask yourself what was your OWN involvement in this, if you were at that church, that is, if you are over the age of 18, and you could have done something to prevent this. Mr. Harris was UNPAID. Julio - do you work, for free?

3 people like this
Posted by tiredofthebs
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:54 am

Living in a house rent free is not working for free ...

Posted by Floyd
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:58 am

[Post removed.]

3 people like this
Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

It sounds like the pastor and his family are basically con artists. Good luck, Arthel Coleman, successfully contesting this amateurish land grab. I'm glad that you have filed suit.

4 people like this
Posted by The truth
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 31, 2014 at 1:05 pm

The Harrises are thieves from the beginning!!! Andre Harris stole the church from Pitman and now again from the church members!!! At the end of the day you reap what you sow!!!

4 people like this
Posted by The real truth
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Pastor Harris I'm praying for you that the Lord will forgive you for the betrayal you have shown to him in his house! The end of story is this, "It's not over til God says it's over, and I pray that you take a good look at yourself and not the $$$ point of it. I once believed in Andre Harris, until I seen with my own eyes. My heart was not feeling right at all when I would come out of his church and my gut kept telling me to go to another church..I eventually did after 3 strikes and then I could not take any more of that person (wolf in sheep clothing). So now I'm back at my home church feeling good the way a person is suppose to feel after a church service. I don't question God I just keep my faith in him and trust him to the fullest, and with that he will fight my battles and make everything right in his time..

Posted by Child of God
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:18 pm

God Says Don't Judge Others or You will be judge , Also Look at The Good That Pastor Harris and his Wife Gloria Has Done For the East Palo Alto Ca. Community Since his Tender their (example) Feed the Homeless twice a week , Memorial Services, Pastor Harris and his Wife Gloria did a WONDERFUL SERVICE FOR MY MOM When She Went Home to Be With The Lord and I am FOREVER THANKFUL, Weddings , Baptisum , Special Community Meetings were held at the Church. Please Move On With Your Lifes As The Pastor and His Family have moved on with theirs. May God Continue To Bless Each and Every One of Us.

Posted by matty
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:22 pm

This is part of the reasons why so many have gone on through life with no spritrial guides and have lost thier faith and trust in one other. Who Am I to throw stones...Let God handle this matter.
God Bless each and everyone that is involed this matter.

3 people like this
Posted by Dan
a resident of Southgate
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I'm surprised this isn't a criminal matter, as well as civil.

1 person likes this
Posted by Becky Stillwell
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Becky Stillwell is a registered user.

Is it a coincidence that everyone involved in this scam has the last name Harris? It's too late for April Fool's! Was no one paying attention?

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Naked Men and Pineapple with Tomato

Palo Alto: Pastry pop-up returns to Zola

Candidate Kickoff Events: Public, not just for supporters

Weekly Candlelight Reconnection Ritual
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 695 views

Registration now open

The Palo Alto Weekly Moonight Run & Walk is happening September 16 at the Palo Alto Baylands.

register here