Family: Wife, Jan Fitzsimmons (who also works in education); three children (two sons, one daughter) and four grandchildren
Hobbies: Triathalons, reading (he recently finished "The Art of War for Managers" by Sun Tzu and is now reading "The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way" by Amanda Ripley.)
Number of books written: Two, "What Every Superintendent and Principal Needs to Know: School Leadership for the Real World" (2002) and "The Perfect School" (2007). Both were co-authored with two former Illinois superintendents.
Nickname: McGee's official middle name is William, and he went by Bill McGee until his freshman year of college. A fateful interception he made during an intramural flag football game -- "quite by good luck," he said -- earned him the "Max" nickname, after Green Bay Packers wide receiver and 1967 Super Bowl hero Max McGee. "It stuck permanently ever since then," he said, adding that he has kept "Glenn" for job applications because it sounds more official.
- Teacher, Detroit Country Day School in Southfield, Michigan, 1972-1975
- Teacher, Fairview School in Darien, Illinois, 1975-1980
- Principal, Fairview School, 1980-1986
- Superintendent, Aptakisic-Tripp District 109 in Deerfield, Illinois, 1986-1991
- Superintendent, Deerfield School District 109 in Deerfield, Illinois, 1991-1998
- Illinois state superintendent of education, 1998-2001
- Senior research associate, Northern Illinois University Center for Governmental Studies in DeKalb, Illinois, 2002-2004
- Superintendent, Wilmette School District 39 in Wilmette, Illinois, 2002-2007
- President, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, 2007-2013
- Head of school, Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science, 2013-2014
View McGee's full CV here.
Videos of McGee:
- Watch an interview with McGee and IMSA student newspaper co-editor-in-chief about his early retirement from the Illinois boarding school.
- Watch an interview with McGee and an IMSA student journalist following a controversial opinion article criticizing the IMSA administration's handling of student stress.
Meet McGee: McGee will be in Palo Alto on Tuesday, June 17, for the school board's final meeting of the year. An informal "meet and greet" will be held at district headquarters, 250 Churchill Ave., before the meeting, tentatively at 6 p.m.