Settlement reached in death of East Palo Alto child

City settles with family for $125,000

The City of East Palo Alto has settled a lawsuit filed by the parents of a 6-year-old girl who was killed in a crosswalk while going to school in 2011.

This story contains 554 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Stretch
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:35 am

Can someone explain to me how the driver is not responsible for killing this little girl? The sunlight in the eyes would be a mitigating factor, which would require such steps as slowing down, using a visor or glasses, or pulling over and stopping if a person can't see. Sloppy driving is no excuse for killing someone, and most people who do so are either impaired in some way or flat out in a hurry. Arrest that crosswalk,h

Posted by So Sad
a resident of College Terrace
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

well said stretch.

Posted by parent
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

After 2 tragedies at the same crosswalk, has the city done anything to fix it?

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hmmm is a registered user.

Stretch - I still don't get it. I understand that sun glare is awful and can hit suddenly. Many a time, I've pulled over due to this problem, and many a time I've slowed down to a crawl. She *was* in a hurry, and I still don't understand why there's no stop sign there. I recall it had something to do w/the studies, but it's hard to imagine that the stop sign wouldn't be effective.

When I've recently driven this part of the road, I've found drivers have slowed down and are more cautious. It just took a death and a serious injury to change things. But have they really changed, for the long term?

People Behaving Badly at this intersection: Web Link

Posted by Palo Altan
on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the video, Hmmm. Appalling drivers. I think a death warrants a stop sign. From what I know, it takes a death before something is corrected. [Portion removed.] $125,000 is an appalling settlement for the death of a child - it should be at least a million. Again, as usual, a high-paid attorney would have helped secure more.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Local restaurants snag Michelin Bib Gourmand status

Council Candidate Forums

Response to Arguments Against Measure B
By Steve Levy | 20 comments | 2,038 views

Garden Zucchini Pancakes with Umami Tomato Meets Woodside Elementary
By Laura Stec | 1 comment | 1,024 views

By Max Greenberg | 0 comments | 286 views

Hangin' with the best

The results are in. See who Palo Alto Weekly readers have selected what they feel are the top spots and service providers in the Palo Alto area across 83 categories.

See the Winners