Study: Most texters lie

Almost no one is 'rolling on the floor laughing,' researchers find

More than 95 percent of the people who type "LOL" are liars, a Stanford University study has concluded.

The study used social media and laptop cameras to track 500 students who used the acronym over the course of an academic year. Sociology Professor Douglas Lee, who led the study, described the results as "sobering," "distressing" and "no laughing matter."

"Most of them are not only not 'laughing out loud,' they aren't laughing at all," Lee wrote in the report's five-page executive summary. "We didn't expect everyone to be forthright, but in 82 percent of the cases, they weren't even smiling!"

For "ROFL," which stands for "rolling on the floor laughing" and which Lee described as "the advanced version of LOL," the rate of dishonesty was 98.3 percent.

"Ironically, we found that it's quite impossible to type while rolling on the floor," Lee said. "Only three people in our survey have tried that. Two ended up with cracked touchscreens and one with a broken collarbone."

Lee's study is part of a long-term, multi-university research project into the effects of personal technology on honesty in society.

(Happy AFD!)

Comments

Posted by A Texter
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:17 am

LOL ROFL. Like what else could I say to this article?

Posted by sexter
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

This is why we only sext instead of text. Much harder to lie with pictures, when the pictures are of someone you know intimately of course.

Posted by KP
a resident of South of Midtown
on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:26 am

LMFAO! Didn't fall for this one for a second!!
This was a corny article...even for AFD!! I am always laughing when I put the acronym in...how much is shown by the LOL, ROFL, LMFAO!!

Posted by Elizabeth
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I can't say that I read every single word, but I certainly hope no one spent good money on this.

One can certainly be feeling as though they are laughing out loud in their minds without making any demonstrable action without.

I certainly don't think that constitutes lying and I find the study a bit offensive.

As one who is committed to truthfulness, the fact that I'm not literally laughing out loud certainly doesn't make me a liar.

Posted by Whiskers
a resident of Los Altos
on Apr 1, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Although I have never used LOL, the time I might use it would be when I found something mildly amusing. Perhaps I should say "FIMA" (Found it mildly amusing).

My favorite expression is WTF (Wow, That's Fantastic!), though only said out loud. More fun that way when I can see the other person's expression.

(Perhaps I should add that I'm about two generations ahead of the LOL generation, though my old fogie friends know what it means.)

Posted by Stretch
on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm

WTF, says an old foggiest from down under!

Posted by Skinny
a resident of Community Center
on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:39 pm

ROFL and LMFAO are the latest weight-loss plan. Instead of eating yourself thin (the regular method), just ROFL twice a day and LMFAO three times a week, you are guaranteed to lose 3 pounds a week!
Going to the gym is so old fashioned.