Firefighters quickly controlled a house fire on the 400 block of Fernando Avenue in Palo Alto on Wednesday evening.
One of the renters of the house was working in the detached garage, which he used as a home office, so he turned on the heater, according to his wife. He went inside for 10 minutes and came back into the garage because he smelled gas, and the heater exploded.
The couple ran out of the house. Their daughter also lives in the house, but wasn't there at the time, the wife said.
The couple were musicians and collected musical instruments, which had been in the garage where the tank had exploded.
Firefighters cut holes in the roof of the building, located near Boulware Park, and had controlled the blaze in the residence by 5:25 p.m.
Mountain View firefighters and Santa Clara County firefighters assisted the fight.
This story contains 202 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.