Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire that began in a back room of a house on the 2100 block of Princeton Street after it spread into the attic late Friday night, Nov. 15.
Firefighters had the one-alarm flame under control within 35 minutes of arriving, according to a fire department press release. Although the fire in the back room of house was quickly controlled, firefighters had to cut into the roof and pull down the ceilings to access the attic, where the fire had spread.
There was significant damage to the home, and the Red Cross responded to provide assistance to the resident, the release stated.
The fire department warned that incidents like Friday's fire could be helped by having working fire alarm and cautioned residents to change the batteries every year and replace them after 10 years.
This story contains 163 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.